Green crud on regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnadamn

Reaction score
Hey all, I have an old regulator that was given to me a while ago. I have not wanted to use it as I have another one that I got new but now I have a friend whose regulator has broken and wanted to borrow it. This regulator is pretty old 25+ years I am guessing (older than me) and has not been used in a good while. The barbs on the regulator are covered in a green gel of some kind. The Hoffstevens tap I got with it had the same stuff on the barb. Have any of you seen this before? I have never seen this before, what is the best way to clean it? Should I rebuild the regulator?

That is oxidized copper or brass, think statue of liberty. You can clean it off with an acid wash, but it is much like rust and it will return with time if kept in a moist enviornment. As for how it affects the taste of you beer, that is the real issue, you should clean it off just for the sake of the taste.

well, this is a gel, it is not oxidation think dried gel toothpaste. It is coating the barb of the brass regulator as well as the barb of the stainless tap. The hose that was connecting the two also had it inside

idk, I Think im just going to let it soak in some star san over night then hopefully that will allow me to take it apart and see how things go from there.... Thanks for the responses

Back