Edwort's apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make some apfelwein but don't have enough dextrose to make it per the recipe. A buddy of mine uses brown sugar for priming almost all of his beers, so I was wondering if I could pull off the same thing for this recipe. Will it make a difference?

Not much. It may have a slight molasses taste. Depends whether you got light or dark. Dark will have more of a molasses taste. Use about 5-6oz by wt to carb and you will be good to go.

You can also use cane sugar too. 5oz will give you 2.8 atmospheres at 68F

Assumes 5 gallons.

Use this calculator. The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

Carb it like you would beer.

If you have a scale use it, because its more accurate for measuring.

Not trying to carbonate. Wanting to use it for the recipe. My LHBS is about a half hour away and it seems kind of a waste to drive out there just for corn sugar. I went last week and stocked up on supplies and decided the next day to do the apfelwein. So I have no other need to go there, so I'm looking for alternatives to corn sugar.

Not trying to carbonate. Wanting to use it for the recipe. My LHBS is about a half hour away and it seems kind of a waste to drive out there just for corn sugar. I went last week and stocked up on supplies and decided the next day to do the apfelwein. So I have no other need to go there, so I'm looking for alternatives to corn sugar.

Use cane sugar, about 2lbs, don't worry if it makes it taste cidery!!! :D

Also, don't worry about a molasses taste. The last batch of EdWort's Apfelwein I made, I put a half-cup of molasses in an attempt to make it more palatable for the SWMBO and I could barely taste the molasses in the end product. The apple and alcohol overpowered the molasses.

I have found (through some brilliant research I conducted) that its pretty hard to mess up A-wine

This brilliant research was that I totally mis measured everything on a batch that I made while good and buzzed.

It still turned out good, just more like low abv champagne.

I have found (through some brilliant research I conducted) that its pretty hard to mess up A-wine

This brilliant research was that I totally mis measured everything on a batch that I made while good and buzzed.

It still turned out good, just more like low abv champagne.

This speaks to the beauty of Apfelwein. Even if it is jacked up, by the third sip, you are already too blasted to know the difference.

I've been using 4# of brown sugar to 5 gallons of apple juice.

The end product is just fine. :)

Bottling another batch today.

Hey guys .... Im trying this tonight, Ive never brewed anything before in my life.

Got a 5 gallon carboy and airlock.

Getting ready to run to the brew shop for dextrose and mantrochet then the grocery store to grab some AJ.

One thing I didnt even think about till now ... and its a ridiculously stupid question ... lol

...... what the hell do I do with it once its done? lol ...

Ill be mixing it up tonight and it will set until March 20th.

Ild rather not bottle, is there some kind easier storage solution (maybe 1 gallon jugs or something?).

Can I simply syphon it out of the 5 gallon carboy and into 1 gallon jugs, cap and store or will that ruin it in a few days?? I mean .. I certainly cant just drink it out of the carboy lol .... I wouldnt think.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Racking it into the jugs would be fine, but keep in mind this is essentially wine. If you had a 1 gallon jug of wine, once you opened it you would need to drink it all quite quickly. If you didn't you would end up with oxidized apfelwein and that will taste like cardboard. It is best to bottle it in smaller containers, more suitable for one sitting's worth of drinking.

Hey guys .... Im trying this tonight, Ive never brewed anything before in my life.

Got a 5 gallon carboy and airlock.

Getting ready to run to the brew shop for dextrose and mantrochet then the grocery store to grab some AJ.

One thing I didnt even think about till now ... and its a ridiculously stupid question ... lol

...... what the hell do I do with it once its done? lol ...

Ill be mixing it up tonight and it will set until March 20th.

Ild rather not bottle, is there some kind easier storage solution (maybe 1 gallon jugs or something?).

Can I simply syphon it out of the 5 gallon carboy and into 1 gallon jugs, cap and store or will that ruin it in a few days?? I mean .. I certainly cant just drink it out of the carboy lol .... I wouldnt think.

Appreciate any suggestions!

You should try and bottle in less then 1 liter bottles because that would be much better... basically drinking more then 1 liter all by youself... that would make you pretty drunk... two would blast you off... so i would sugest 22oz bottles... two cases would be enough and you would be able to drink it while you ferment and age you next batch

Thanks for the input ....

I just realized I did the hijack of the year ... lol.

Sorry OP

Ill start my own thread ....

@Tusch,

Thanks for that. It may seem very common sense to folks that have been at it for a while, but some of the newer folks wouldn't have gotten that, and probably been put off by getting "iffy" cider.

Back