GIMP with MAC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
Trying to get GIMP installed on a MAC operating system (OS X Tiger). Just downloaded it and after install it said that I needed Apple's X11. I downloaded X11 and it said that a newer version of X11 already exists on the computer.

Anyone have GIMP running on a MAC? How can I get it to work?

Trying to get GIMP installed on a MAC operating system (OS X Tiger). Just downloaded it and after install it said that I needed Apple's X11. I downloaded X11 and it said that a newer version of X11 already exists on the computer.

Anyone have GIMP running on a MAC? How can I get it to work?

I have it running fine on my intel based iMac.

where did you download it from?
Try this link.
If it does not lead you to what you need let me know.
Chriso is also a good source.

Both of us are apple certified techs.

I have an intel based Macbook. That was the link I downloaded it from. Clicked on "Download GIMP on OS X" and then clicked on "GIMP 2.6.3 Tiger/Intel." After download I opened the .dmg, dropped the icon into the applications folder. Clicked on the GIMP icon and received the error message: GIMP.app requires Apple's X11.

This isn't a huge deal, but I would like to get the program up and running. Any other ideas?

I have an intel based Macbook. That was the link I downloaded it from. Clicked on "Download GIMP on OS X" and then clicked on "GIMP 2.6.3 Tiger/Intel." After download I opened the .dmg, dropped the icon into the applications folder. Clicked on the GIMP icon and received the error message: GIMP.app requires Apple's X11.

This isn't a huge deal, but I would like to get the program up and running. Any other ideas?

ok. that gives me something to work with. too :drunk: to really trouble shoot at the moment, but I'll see if I work something out for ya.

meantime, make sure you have all of your software updates in place and a good backup. I'll post back tomorrow AM.

I had Panther and now have Leopard and X11 was different between the two. Have you tried starting X11 ahead of time (Applications/Utilities/X11)?
I'll have to check out Seashore. Looks like it might fit my needs on the Mac a bit better than gimp.

Sorry for not posting sooner, but thank you for the help. I just looked and actually don't see X11 in the applications/utilities folder...I guess I'll have to try installing that off the main DVD tomorrow. Thanks!

**Edit: Decided to try installing everything tonight. Grabbed the files from Craigd's Link and GIMP is now working with no problems. You guys rock! Now its time to occupy myself for a few hours. Thanks!

Back