RIS Swap ~ Brewt00l's Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
Warped04, Flowerysong & PseudoChef each were sent (1) 22oz and (2) 12oz bottles of the 8-8-8 RIS.

Slightly different recipe than the original posted and this beer was the end result of my first (and hopefully last) massive stuck sparge. I had to remove the grain from my MLT by hand with a strainer and collected significantly less than anticipated. Should be an interesting test subject for the possibility of HSA through long term storage.

brewt00l said:
Warped04, Flowerysong & PseudoChef each were sent (1) 22oz and (2) 12oz bottles of the 8-8-8 RIS.

Slightly different recipe than the original posted and this beer was the end result of my first (and hopefully last) massive stuck sparge. I had to remove the grain from my MLT by hand with a strainer and collected significantly less than anticipated. Should be an interesting test subject for the possibility of HSA through long term storage.
I'll have to let you try a eight year old barleywine I made. I used to use a pump on my keg system to recirculate the wort and for temp boosts. I got a stuck sparge and was pumping a lot of air through the mash. The barleywine is the most oxidized beer I have ever had.

Warrior said:
I'll have to let you try a eight year old barleywine I made. I used to use a pump on my keg system to recirculate the wort and for temp boosts. I got a stuck sparge and was pumping a lot of air through the mash. The barleywine is the most oxidized beer I have ever had.

I intentionally oxidized some beers post fermentation while bottling and they were absolutely disgusting with a greasy rancid wet cardboard flavor and bad aroma...if it was anything like that, yuck...pass!

The 8-8-8 was brewed on 12/23/07 and I wound up having to scoop all the grain out of my MLT with a strainer and lost about a gallon and a half. Samples to date do not exhibit any oxidation.

Background: Brewed by HomeBrewTalk member brewt00l. Received as part of the 08/08/08 RIS swap. Sampled early due to brewer's concern over possible hot-side aeration during sparging.

Appearance: Opaque black with brown highlights. Minimal brown head displaying no retention.

Nose: Rich, roasted malt.

Taste: Chocolatey, with a medium bitterness. High notes are alcohol, low notes are malt. Some generic hoppiness. Dry finish with hints of coffee and tar.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation, smoothly warming alcohol. Medium body.

Overall: Good, but still young. No overt signs of premature oxidation.

brewt00l's 8/8/8 RIS:

Aroma: A beautiful aroma. Leaned towards the malt side, with a hint of alcohol.

Appearance: A brown head that came up beautifully but subsided quickly, left reasonable lacing down the glass.

Flavor: This beer was balanced, but leaned towards the malt rather than the hops. There was a slight alcohol taste without the warming.

Mouthfeel: There was not as much body as this style is supposed to have, but my personal tastes made this a perfect amount of body for this style. The carbonation was nice, I think it was right on for this style.

Overall Impression: No signs of oxidation, but it still tasted young. After I had a couple of sips, I wanted to run out and grab a big piece of cheese. I can't wait to have this in the winter, not the summer when it's 93 at 11pm. I don't score beers because I'm not good enough, but I woudl have to put in the Excellent Category (38-44). This was a great beer, I look forward to having more.

Thank you for swaping beers.

-Wally

Thank you both for the feedback. Interesting that the two of you are noticing some harsh/fusel alcohols in this one...it was fermented w/2 packs of S33 @ 68~70, well below the range that yeast should kick anything like that out.

Considering the nightmare of a brewday this one was, I'm just glad the end result came out enjoyable. I want to keep a couple of these around for the 1 year mark to see what comes of any oxidation. Maybe there really is something to Charlie P's cinnamon in the boil!!!

It was slight. I wouldn't consider it tasting real alcoholy (like a fusel), it just had a hint of alcohol you get from like a green beer.

I stored your beer in the wine fridge at a nice 55 degrees, and I'm telling you, I can't wait to try this in winter when it's not 100 degrees.

I'm also no BJCP qualified judge, and beers like this, typically are not my style, so I thought my 8/8/8 was great, until I tasted all of the others, and realized mine was not to style.

I really appreciate the feedback and I am right there with ya...excessive carb for the style and it's on the thin side. This has been an interesting ride. I thought about a re-brew at first but then figured what better situation than to have the feedback from a few other folks on the end result.

If I were to brew this recipe again, I would prb make a few changes to suit my preferences but not necessarily based on this example. In this recipe as brewed, I sub'd brown malt for the pale chocolate and I think pushes it towards intense.

Back