Ladies and gentlemen, I have arrived

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been home brewing for somewhere around five years. I started with extracts, slowly accumulated all the gear for all grain and kegging and now moving toward a brew sculpture and RIMS/HERMS type system. I brew probably 8-10 batches a year. I'm really the only person who drinks it so it seems to last longer than it should. I've brewed many styles and tried a few recipes within the same style.

But today, I am going to brew using the same recipe for an IPA that I have in my Kegerator. So today is the day that I have officially arrived as a homebrewer. I've had plenty of people enjoy my beer, but it wasn't good enough for me. There was always something about each one that was just a little off or needed an adjustment or something. But this will be the first time that I use the same grain bill and hop and mash schedule with no changes.

I thank you all for the kind support and wisdom that has been provided on this website. I now feel that I can truly stand amongst everyone here as a professional homebrewer.

:mug::mug::mug::mug::mug:

How fun that you now have a "house IPA" to make again!

I brew pretty often (I guess we both just drink too much in our house) and I love having a couple of standards that I make often. I almost never change my oatmeal stout recipe, for example. It's exactly the way I want it. Other recipes I might change or tweak just a bit.

I am leaning towards making my brewing "boring" for the next year or so. By that I mean that I am considering choosing 3 beer styles and brewing them over and over until I have those 3 down perfect. After that, I'll go back to doing more variety. The IPA is where I was planning to start on the development of the "house" beers.

So, congrats on locking up your IPA recipe.

Thank you both. I never really had a plan to create a "house" beer, but at some point about a year ago, I realized I had never brewed the same beer twice. I may have taken a recipe and made some adjustments, but I don't consider that the same recipe. Whether it be a larger grain bill or hop substitutions. But with this beer, everything was the same. And it was a good brew day by the way.

But now that I have a house IPA, I will now have to start making more house recipes. In fact, I have an oatmeal stout on tap that's just about where I want it. That will be my next endeavor. Just a little more dark chocolate flavor and I'm there.....

I was just thinking about this today also! I have a Belgian that turned out sooo good, its going to be my first "repeat" after about 25 batches or so. I have a Galaxy/Citra Pale that was damn fine too, will probably brew again when I kick this keg.

Good work J, its a good feeling huh!!

Damn good feeling, Dave. I can't say it was ever a goal, at least not in a direct way. But now that I have one, I'm hooked. Now I want to have about 4 mainstays and a bunch of other ones that kind of just make the rounds.

Back