Reusing yeast cake from a sour beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29thfloor

Reaction score
I recently got my first sour beer going using the Wyeast Lambic Blend. In the past I've washed yeast and reused it and I'm wondering if I can do that with this one. Does it make sense to trying washing yeast that has other bugs in it or should I just pitch another beer right on the yeast cake?

I just pitch right back onto it. over time that cake will become invaluable

Pitch right back on it. I've also used the dregs from that blend that came out of a bottle to innoculate a new batch. Took a little while to take off but it formed a pellicle after a few weeks.

yeah, pitch right on it or maybe a mild wash to get some of the crap out of the mix, but probably doesn't matter. i also used that lambic blend and after transferring it to secondary, scooped a tupperware worth of the dregs from the primary and saved it for a month. i added it to a brew in a 3 gallon carboy and then left town for the weekend (leaving plenty of headspace). i came back and it had completely blown the airlock out (which was laying a couple feet away). that stuff is ravenous.

Any particular styles this blend is well suited for? I'm thinking of doing a brown ale or a saison next and pitching onto this yeast cake.

Lambic Blend is more of a barnyard/horsey/earthy and less sour than Roseleare, which is more of a complex sourness with an earthy background note.

That being said, I only use Lambic Blend for my lambics. What's so wrong with another one of those? ;)

agreed, you could blend young and old

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. Just need to brew another within the month and I'll have the perfect amount for a gueuze blended with 2 year, 1 year and 6 month old lambics. :rockin:

That being said, I only use Lambic Blend for my lambics. What's so wrong with another one of those? ;)

Good point :)

Maybe I'll do another lambic on this one, and then a brown ale with Roselare.

I'm also thinking of doing an all Brett Strawberry Blonde using some organic strawberries donated from a friend's garden.

I see more carboys are in my immediate future...

Good point :)

Maybe I'll do another lambic on this one, and then a brown ale with Roselare.

I'm also thinking of doing an all Brett Strawberry Blonde using some organic strawberries donated from a friend's garden.

I see more carboys are in my immediate future...

I would use brett bruxelles for this

Just racked the Kriek onto 6 lbs of cherry puree and then pitched a blonde ale onto the yeast cake. I'll check back in a year or so with an update :)

OK so it's only been 48 hours. I'm still not seeing any activity whatsoever and I'm wondering if it was a mistake to just rack onto the lambic blend yeast cake without swirling it up to get everything in suspension. Should there be enough viable yeast after 3 months to start fermenting a new batch of wort? Should I shake it up to try and get the yeast going again? Or is there just a longer lag time when pitching onto a 3+ month old yeast cake?

OK so it's only been 48 hours. I'm still not seeing any activity whatsoever and I'm wondering if it was a mistake to just rack onto the lambic blend yeast cake without swirling it up to get everything in suspension. Should there be enough viable yeast after 3 months to start fermenting a new batch of wort? Should I shake it up to try and get the yeast going again? Or is there just a longer lag time when pitching onto a 3+ month old yeast cake?

let it go, it will take off.

I have no doubt you'll be posting next week about how you shouldn't have worried. ;) It'll take off. :mug:

bump to bring back to life!

how long do you think you can save an un-washed sour yeast cake in the fridge, before using again? i've had one sitting for almost 6 months, just dont know if i can reuse this, or if i should pitch a new sach, and then add some fresh dregs to secondary instead.

thanks!!

Back