Source for Sprouted Millet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igliashon

Reaction score
Found this today:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GP4ZR4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Not sure if there's gonna be any enzymatic activity left in them, but at $6.45 for 2 lbs, that's not a bad price at all. I bought a pack, and plan to incorporate them with 2 lbs of sprouted quinoa I got from Whole Foods, as well as some sweet potato to help 'em out, into an English IPA recipe that I'll be brewing in two weeks. Will post results!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, you found some! Sweet. Doing my own malting is "step 2", I think. I'm curious to see first what kind of results I'll get from these sprouted grains after some light low-temp toasting.

I have no idea what "sprouted berries" actually means. My assumption is that they don't worry about stopping the seeds from growing at a specific stage, and that if you looked at their "sprouting" as a form of malting, they probably don't do anything to avoid malting loss.

If you get some please play around with a bit and see if you can figure out just what the product actually is, composition-wise.

Never mind... I may be wrong. From the manufacturer website, organicsproutedflour.net:
Until the 20th century, grain naturally sprouted in the field before it was milled into flour. The invention of the combine harvester during the Industrial Revolution changed everything. Grain could be harvested in the field and then moved to storage bins. The time-honored practice of sprouting was cast aside for modern processing.

Unfortunately, nutrition was also cast aside. When whole grains are not allowed to ferment or sprout, they don’t contain the nutrients that sprouted whole grains do. And they retain the naturally occurring antinutrients, even when milled into flour.

To Your Health Sprouted Flour Co. has returned to the traditional practice of sprouting grains in order to render them more nutritious and digestible. However, we don’t leave our grains out in the field to sprout. We nurture the grains in our facility,

allow them to sprout, then dry them at a very low temperature, to maintain precious vitamins, minerals, and enzymes.

Check the site, they have Millet, Amaranth, Quinoa and Buckwheat. Note that shipping is slightly cheaper for ther 2lb bag when you order directly from the manufacturer. Overall it's still pricey stuff but you can order sizes up to 50lb sacks. For example, Millet costs $17.45 ($8.73/lb) with shipping for 2 lbs, but a 50 lb costs $170.85 ($3.42/lb) shipped. They offer USPS priority mail shipping for larger orders that works out cheaper than ground shipping. Interesting, nice find!

Yeah, generally sprouting is not exactly the same as malting. Quite often sprouts are raw (you know, other than buying from off the shelf), or may go beyond the process of malting and actually have the green leaves of a sprout (where malting doesn't have the leaf portion).

Sprouts, as we usually know them are mung bean, soy bean, broccoli, alfalfa, radish, cabbage, mustard etc. (I use a large plastic container with sprayers on the cover and a drain hole, along with a timed sprayer to do mine. Unfortunately, the temperature is too cold for sorghum and millet and it won't work with those. If I wanted to do temperature controlled water maybe... hmm...)

One downside is we don't really know to what extent they've sprouted in their original state. The upside is that they're at least sprouted and it means less work for more trials.
Also, it seems that (at least for sorghum) the enzymes degrade faster than barley, even when in a dried state. I haven't seen anything on the others yet. I expect there will be enzymes, but likely not as much as in a less time delayed state.

Well, I'm planning to use sweet potato in the mash to see if that helps it along. My hope is that a step-mash, followed by a slow rise in temperature to mash-out, will help me get at least some conversion. Seems like millet has a pretty broad gelatinization range, so we'll see....

Even if the sprouted grains worked, there' would be no way to know if they'd work the next time.

Because they aren't making malt. Their goal is not stopping the process at optimum time. It could be perfect one time and way over modified the next. You're much better off buying millet malt or malting it yourself, so that you know what you have.

Eh, when a source of proper malted millet becomes available, I'll be ALL OVER it. In the meantime, I'll say that I'd expect a company making large amounts of sprouted millet will probably be doing so with a consistent process, in order to yield a consistent product. But we'll see.

Wow, their GF malts are all less than $1.60 a pound! That's cheaper than a lot of unmalted grains! This is the best news I've heard all week.

Latest posts

Back