stilll cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
Ok, I know this has been asked and replied to before.
I made a magic hat #9 clone three weeks ago. After 2 weeks the beer had finished and cleared nicely so I racked it to secondary and added 3# of Oregon apricot puree. One week later it still looks like it did the day I added it. Super cloudy . Should I wait or will cold Crashing clear this up. I have never made a beer with any kind of fruit added to it.

Never worked with that kind of fruit before, but cold crashing should help. Good luck!

let it wait. Another 3 weeks. Cold crash if you want after that. But do at least 1week if you do before you bottle.

Let me know how it works out and what you did. I can't get any flavor from my fruit added.

I just checked it again. And I am going to leave it for another week. There was alot of tiny bubbles rushing to the top. So I guess a small amount of fermentation started again.
Like I said I had never added fruit to a beer before and was unsure what to expect from it. But I from what I had read the norm was to leave it for a week and then bottle, but I guess my beer is not normal..lol
Thanks everyone for the replies.

If it's been three weeks and it hasn't cleared up, I've found that gelatin works brilliantlyfor clearing.

If it's been three weeks and it hasn't cleared up, I've found that gelatin works brilliantlyfor clearing.

I read that is was 3 weeks from start, but only 1 week from the last sugar addition (fruit).

Leave it to finish and clear.

Calder you read correct..brewed 3 weeks ago ..2 weeks primary ..1 week secondary on fruit.
I will definitely leave this for at least another week and see where its at then.
Again thanks to everyone that replied and offered insight.

3 pounds of apricot puree? this might thin your beer out some but i have not seen your grain bill so maybe you factored that in.

Well I didn't think 3# of puree would thin it out since it was for flavor. I cant remember wherei got the recipe from but that's what it called for.
Grain bill is..
9.5# British pale malt
1.75# 2- row
.25# crystal 60

Well I didn't think 3# of puree would thin it out since it was for flavor. I cant remember wherei got the recipe from but that's what it called for.
Grain bill is..
9.5# British pale malt
1.75# 2- row
.25# crystal 60

fruit puree is sugar and sugar is food for yeast. that grain bill would have an OG of around 1052. add 3 pounds of puree (sugar) and it jumps to an OG of around 1075. i know you are adding it to the secondary but the yeast are there, munching away. i could be wrong but this is how i understand it to work.

fruit puree is sugar and sugar is food for yeast. that grain bill would have an OG of around 1052. add 3 pounds of puree (sugar) and it jumps to an OG of around 1075. i know you are adding it to the secondary but the yeast are there, munching away. i could be wrong but this is how i understand it to work.

The puree is not pure sugar. Looking at the specs for the stuff, it has 7.9 grams of sugar per 100 grams. Therefore 3 lbs of puree (1360 grams) will have 108 grams of sugar, or about 4 ounces. In 5 gallons that will effectively raise the gravity by .002 to .003.

Back