Crazy Yeast !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teaman

Reaction score
Hey got another rookie question.

Just pitched my first yeast that had come from a yeast washing. Mr Malty calculated about 200ml for this imperial stout at 1.103 OG. Anyway, I took the jars out of the fridge and decanted the top stuff, left at room temp for 6-8 hrs, after my wort cooled I put a bit in to the yeast to get them into suspension, shook up and they about blew the lid off the mason jar. After only 2 hrs in the fermenter I was getting airlock at 35 per minute. Put a blow off tube and it has gone ballistic. I actually think I am losing brew.
Is this what to expect from harvested yeast? No lag time and a blow off? Or could it be due to the high gravity beer? It's the first one I've done.

Thanks for the input.

Probably a combination of the two. High gravity beers typically blow off because there is so much sugar for the yeast to eat.

Thought the gravity may have somethng to do with it.
I've had blow offs before but just started using starters and now washing. Is very little lag time normal in those circumstances?
I guess I am just used to pitching a vial and waiting...........

This is what happens when you brew a Barleywine with an OG of 1.150 with a 3/4 gallon starter.

And The Sequel an hour later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back