Dry hopping sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denimglen

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm doing my first sour at the moment - Flander's Red, JZs recipe, fermented with Roselare from the start.

It's been in the primary for about 2 months now, I was thinking of splitting off about 3 gallons for bulk aging, 1 gal onto a couple pounds of raspberries, and another gal that will be dry hopped.

I'm thinking of using amarillo and/or simcoe - I think the fruit-citrus from these hops will go well with the fruitness from yeast/bacteria combo. I think I would add it about 10 days before I bottle. Still unsure on quantities - don't know if I should go kinda high at an ounce or two for a gallon or keep it in the same sorta ratio as you would for an APA or something.

I know a couple of the big boys in Belgium have done this I but haven't been able to find much information.

Does anyone have any info? Tasted these beers? Done it yourself?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

It certainly works well. I have done some bottle hopped experiments with good results. DOn't go overboard on the amount, you want to taste all the funk complexity you worked so hard for.

Don't start thinking about finishing this beer though, at 2 months you are a long way from dry hopping. Personally I would just rack the whole thing to secondary and worry about fruit/hops in another year or so.

If my 10 newest gallons of Berliner Weisse ever decide to sour, half is going to get some amarillo dry hops. I am thinking I am going to go fairly assertively too.

Thanks all.

Yeah, I heard as wel that Cantillion dry hop iris, but I can't get that here. I think New Belgium might also do a dry hopped sour? Either way, getting sours at all here is pretty hard.

Yeah, I don't plan on drinking any time soon, but would like to get it off the bulk of the cake and out of the plastic and into glass and will need to split it accordingly.

Oldsock, what varieties did you try and have success with? Nice blog by the way, it's on my RSS feed.

New Belgium's is La Terrior (Dry-hopped with amarillo and cascade hops for 8 days). Cantillon also does Cuvee des Champions (Dry-hopped in the cask for three weeks with fresh Styrian Goldings hops.)

I tried centennial, mt hood, sterling, simcoe (they were all pretty tasty if I remember correctly). I used 2-3 cones per bottle.

Yeah, or even in the bottle. I just added a combo of Amarillo, Simcoe, and Cascade (1-2 cones each) to a six pack of Flanders Red that sat in a red wine barrel for the last year.

Back