First Brew is in the Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TampaTim

Reaction score
Approaching the 72 hour mark.

It's doing something. What? I don't care. Haven't had any urges to go pulling lids off or anything. From the majority of the info I've gleaned here, I've made a plan to leave it in the primary for three weeks.

At the two week mark I have to dry hop, so I'll pull the top, stick the thief in there, get a sample make note of my FG, and then come running back here convinced I've done something wrong, and that the batch should be flushed down the crapper!!!! :D I kid. I kid. I'm just being careful about the fermenting temp. (??? The stick on thermometer on the side of the Ale Pail is reading 66-70...I realize the reactions are exothermic...am I keeping it in the right temp range?)

Seriously, though...as many of you mentioned in previous posts. Develop a process. So I paid a lot of attention to the process. I read up on processes before hand. Had a good idea of what I was doing before the first flame was struck, so I took lots of notes and observations on how to use my time, or what I should have done while one thing was going on, etc.

Reviewing it all, I found a few areas of inefficiency, and I recognized what I can do in the future to avoid them, or improve upon them if you will. Some are:

More buckets. For obvious reasons! However, I was using my fermenter to hold Star San and equipment that I'd need, but...after the wort is chilled..that stuff has to go somewhere. So an extra bucket or two to hold Star San and sanitized equipment will be helpful.

A lid for my keggle. Whether it be just some foil over the top, or a towel, after the cold break, it's definitely something I need. It was disheartening after all that work to see particulate (it was windy that day) matter floating on top.

I noticed even though my temps in the Keggle read 77. When I put it in the fermenter, it was up to 89....so....in the kitchen sink with ice we went. I had realized the wort chiller was giving diminishing returns due to the temp of the groundwater, but geez! Being off that much? I realized I need some sort of cold recirculating (forgive me..I don't know the terms or the lingo) device to run ice water through the chiller after a certain amount of degrees. I live in Tampa for gods' sake, it doesn't get much colder than it did the other day. So improvements in that area are a must.

Right now, with it being cold, I can get away with a swamp cooler for the fermentation process. Being in Tampa...I'll need a better handle on fermentation temps. I have a small fridge. Will the Johnson Controls analog controller I've seen around, just plug right in? Or do I have to cut stuff and wire it in?

I also realize I'm going to have to add a spigot and dip tube to my keggle. I have the luxury of time on that one, but does anybody have a parts list or link?

A couple of mistakes I realize I made....

1. Stirring in the LME. I believe I did a thorough job. However, I did not take into account the whirlpool action. When I removed the wort, there was a small amount of carmelization in the bottom of the keggle. Exactly in the middle.

2. Underpitched. I ordered an Activator pack. Didn't double check. Smacked it the night before, let it balloon up. Pitched it. Then as I saw the back of the package as I was throwing the bag away, realized they sent me a Propagator pack. I aerated the hell out of the wort. So we'll see what happens.

(??? The stick on thermometer on the side of the Ale Pail is reading 66-70...I realize
the reactions are exothermic...am I keeping it in the right temp range?)

I didn't catch what you were brewing or what yeast you are using, but that's likely fine. I do find my beers taste better (and take longer to ferment) at the lower end of the yeasts' comfort range.

Normally I look up what temp the yeastmonger says the yeast likes (probably Wyeast since you mentioned a pack). One approach would be to pitch at the low end of the range, knowing that the generated heat will push the actual temp somewhat higher.

It wouldn't hurt to do the swampcooler tshirt on the bucket; you could probably pull 5F off the bucket pretty easy that way. I wouldn't worry either way.

More buckets...
So an extra bucket or two to hold Star San and sanitized equipment will be helpful.

It's hard to go wrong with extra buckets. I find they can also help in storage and in organization/moving of gear on brew day. I have to keep reminding myself to avoid scratching brew buckets by storing gear only in gear/sanitizing buckets rather than brew buckets.

You may find a spraybottle can reduce the raw volume of sanitzer you have to mix up. StarSan spraybottles are particularly useful and I'm not even starsan partisan.

I realized I need some sort of cold recirculating (forgive me..I don't know the terms or the lingo) device to run ice water through the chiller after a certain amount of degrees.

I don't know of a better term than that really. Sometimes we refer them them as IC prechillers. I got a pump off Amazon for $35 or so, and run icewater through the IC when temps get down to 100F or so, depending on the temp differential between wort and groundwater.

Saves water and speeds things up a good bit. I prechill the prechiller water :) with frozen 2L bottles so I only have to use the amount of ice in my fridge icemaker. This means I don't have to buy any extra ice, and I am a cheap bastid.

I have a small fridge. Will the Johnson Controls analog controller I've seen around, just plug right in? Or do I have to cut stuff and wire it in?

Just plugs in. Set the dial to your target temp and walk away. I am in Texas and the Johnson+fridge combo works superfantastic. I've been threatening to do this since I saw my first controller in a Williams catalog in the 80s. Pulled the trigger on it and am 100% happy. You may have to invest $5 in damprid or similar to keep the humidity down in the dedicated fridge.

2. Underpitched. I ordered an Activator pack. Didn't double check. Smacked it the night before, let it balloon up. Pitched it. Then as I saw the back of the package as I was throwing the bag away, realized they sent me a Propagator pack. I aerated the hell out of the wort. So we'll see what happens.

I'm sure it will be fine. Might have some more flavor due to higher ester production due to the underpitch, but I bet it'll be fine.

You seem to have brought a high degree of prep, research, and organization to the brewpot. Well done. Sounds like you'll fit right in. Keep sharing your progress.

I didn't catch what you were brewing or what yeast you are using, but that's likely fine. I do find my beers taste better (and take longer to ferment) at the lower end of the yeasts' comfort range.

Sorry. My bad. It was a Mid-West Brewing Supplies Hop Head Kit with American Ale Wyeast 1056.

fratermus said:
You may find a spraybottle can reduce the raw volume of sanitzer you have to mix up. StarSan spraybottles are particularly useful and I'm not even starsan partisan.

Forgot to mention, this was in my bag of tricks, and it was an invaluable tool.

Just plugs in. Set the dial to your target temp and walk away. I am in Texas and the Johnson+fridge combo works superfantastic. I've been threatening to do this since I saw my first controller in a Williams catalog in the 80s. Pulled the trigger on it and am 100% happy. You may have to invest $5 in damprid or similar to keep the humidity down in the dedicated fridge.

The $54 one right? And thanks on the Damprid tip. I was wondering about that. Does the smell "get into" the plastic inside?

You seem to have brought a high degree of prep, research, and organization to the brewpot. Well done. Sounds like you'll fit right in. Keep sharing your progress.

Thank you sir! I appreciate it. What kind of bike do you ride? I ride a Buell.

I assumed it was either an American ale style because of the hopping; this is why I figured the underpitching and warm temps wouldn't result in a huge diff; the American ale yeasts are, IIRC, rather clean and neutral.

Yes, the temp control was around $50. I don't think the fridge has picked up any beer smells, but I do leave it off and open when nothing is in it to let it air out.

The current bike is a Suz. DR650 dualsport thingy. I am 6' and it's one of the few (non-German) bikes that fit me without having to do origami with my legs. The seat is 34" and I can see over the top of most SUVs (except Excursions).

Been a big fan of Erik Buell for many years, and am glad to see his success with so many great American bikes. If I were to get an American bike it'd probably be a Ulysses. Unless HD actually brings that foxy Europe-only XR1200 here.

I assumed it was either an American ale style because of the hopping; this is why I figured the underpitching and warm temps wouldn't result in a huge diff; the American ale yeasts are, IIRC, rather clean and neutral.

Yes, the temp control was around $50. I don't think the fridge has picked up any beer smells, but I do leave it off and open when nothing is in it to let it air out.

The current bike is a Suz. DR650 dualsport thingy. I am 6' and it's one of the few (non-German) bikes that fit me without having to do origami with my legs. The seat is 34" and I can see over the top of most SUVs (except Excursions).

Been a big fan of Erik Buell for many years, and am glad to see his success with so many great American bikes. If I were to get an American bike it'd probably be a Ulysses. Unless HD actually brings that foxy Europe-only XR1200 here.

The Wee Strom was on the list, but I ended up with the Ulysses. I'm 6'2" and have a 34" inseam.

They don't make many bikes for guys like us. Just about every bike is made for little 5' 7" dudes that weigh 150 lbs!

The Uly does everything well, and I've just done a bunch of minor mods to make it really fit me perfectly.

I got hit by a flying duck yesterday while riding, but that's another story.:D

I should add that my OG was dead on.

(Or as accurate as I could read with all them damn bubbles that would accumulate on the hydrometer.)

:off:'Nother (6'3, 270) biker here... I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 700 (old) and it fits me pretty well. Looking forward to when I can afford a BMW bike since I ride every day... when I friggin can! (see below) I know how much sparrows hurt at speed - don't even wanna know how a duck felt...

Now would ya'll stop talking 'bout bikes? Mine's been down for almost a month, will be for another couple weeks (was waiting on $$ for parts... now waiting on parts... and the time to do the stator job... farking engine pull). :off:

The Wee Strom was on the list, but I ended up with the Ulysses. I'm 6'2" and have a 34" inseam.

They don't make many bikes for guys like us. Just about every bike is made for little 5' 7" dudes that weigh 150 lbs!

The Uly does everything well, and I've just done a bunch of minor mods to make it really fit me perfectly.

I got hit by a flying duck yesterday while riding, but that's another story.:D

! (see below) I know how much sparrows hurt at speed - don't even wanna know how a duck felt...

That's what I was thinking. I got sparrowed one day and I thought someone had thrown a brick and broken my collarbone, but I was only bruised. This was in my young/stupid/pre-ATGATT days so I was wearing a tshirt at best.

I think my dreambike would be an old airhead, like an R80 or something.

:off:'Nother (6'3, 270) biker here... I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 700 (old) and it fits me pretty well. Looking forward to when I can afford a BMW bike since I ride every day... when I friggin can! (see below) I know how much sparrows hurt at speed - don't even wanna know how a duck felt...

Now would ya'll stop talking 'bout bikes? Mine's been down for almost a month, will be for another couple weeks (was waiting on $$ for parts... now waiting on parts... and the time to do the stator job... farking engine pull). :off:

That's what I was thinking. I got sparrowed one day and I thought someone had thrown a brick and broken my collarbone, but I was only bruised. This was in my young/stupid/pre-ATGATT days so I was wearing a tshirt at best.

I think my dreambike would be an old airhead, like an R80 or something.

ATGATT here too....R80....them old Beemers are like tanks!

In the spring. I caught a baby "something"....what I don't know...I just saw a small something (bird or bat...wrapped in Spanish moss fell out of an Oak. I could see the animal in the moss) at sixty some odd miles an hour right in the Adam's Apple. It was creepy feeling it roll across the bare part of my neck after impact, between my jacket and helmet, and then not knowing what I was going to find splatted all over me! The initial impact was kinda like gettin' kicked in the balls....of course it friggin' hurt..it was sixty some odd miles an hour, but then my throat started swelling. I couldn't tell if I couldn't breathe because I was laughing so hard, or because of the impact!!

For those extra buckets you wanna get, may recommend the Homer 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot? They are only 3 or 4 bucks and they are incredibly useful. They are PET 2 - not that you would ferment in them but I figured it would be good to know. I have 1 constantly in use during brewing and two others that I bought with lids (those are cheaper now after I bought them - of course!) that I use to hold a total of 50 lbs of 2-row at any given time.

:tank:

Approaching the 72 hour mark.

It's doing something. What? I don't care. Haven't had any urges to go pulling lids off or anything. From the majority of the info I've gleaned here, I've made a plan to leave it in the primary for three weeks.

At the two week mark I have to dry hop, so I'll pull the top, stick the thief in there, get a sample make note of my FG, and then come running back here convinced I've done something wrong, and that the batch should be flushed down the crapper!!!! :D I kid. I kid. I'm just being careful about the fermenting temp. (??? The stick on thermometer on the side of the Ale Pail is reading 66-70...I realize the reactions are exothermic...am I keeping it in the right temp range?)

Seriously, though...as many of you mentioned in previous posts. Develop a process. So I paid a lot of attention to the process. I read up on processes before hand. Had a good idea of what I was doing before the first flame was struck, so I took lots of notes and observations on how to use my time, or what I should have done while one thing was going on, etc.

Reviewing it all, I found a few areas of inefficiency, and I recognized what I can do in the future to avoid them, or improve upon them if you will. Some are:

More buckets. For obvious reasons! However, I was using my fermenter to hold Star San and equipment that I'd need, but...after the wort is chilled..that stuff has to go somewhere. So an extra bucket or two to hold Star San and sanitized equipment will be helpful.

A lid for my keggle. Whether it be just some foil over the top, or a towel, after the cold break, it's definitely something I need. It was disheartening after all that work to see particulate (it was windy that day) matter floating on top.

I noticed even though my temps in the Keggle read 77. When I put it in the fermenter, it was up to 89....so....in the kitchen sink with ice we went. I had realized the wort chiller was giving diminishing returns due to the temp of the groundwater, but geez! Being off that much? I realized I need some sort of cold recirculating (forgive me..I don't know the terms or the lingo) device to run ice water through the chiller after a certain amount of degrees. I live in Tampa for gods' sake, it doesn't get much colder than it did the other day. So improvements in that area are a must.

Right now, with it being cold, I can get away with a swamp cooler for the fermentation process. Being in Tampa...I'll need a better handle on fermentation temps. I have a small fridge. Will the Johnson Controls analog controller I've seen around, just plug right in? Or do I have to cut stuff and wire it in?

I also realize I'm going to have to add a spigot and dip tube to my keggle. I have the luxury of time on that one, but does anybody have a parts list or link?

A couple of mistakes I realize I made....

1. Stirring in the LME. I believe I did a thorough job. However, I did not take into account the whirlpool action. When I removed the wort, there was a small amount of carmelization in the bottom of the keggle. Exactly in the middle.

Dude rad! You're In Tampa...I'm in St. Pete! How are you keeping the temps cool? Oh never mind. I swamp chill too. Just noticed that

Homer bucket was something like $2.98 a couple days ago... priced a 5g bucket at Lowes tonight, it was $4.98.

Dude rad! You're In Tampa...I'm in St. Pete! How are you keeping the temps cool? Oh never mind. I swamp chill too. Just noticed that

Hey there!

I just bought one of the Johnson Controls temp controller for an extra small fridge I had laying around.

Takes the guesswork out of things! :D

I opened the bucket to take a gravity reading (19 days in the bucket so far), prior to my dry hop schedule for Saturday.

The FG was 1.018. Right on target.

It was really...really....really cloudy. I did not use a fining agent. I'll make a note of that for next time.

Regardless, I went ahead and threw my hops in, resanitized the airlock and lid. Covered up and back into the fermentation fridge it went.

So, I eyed that foul, cloudy looking sample dubiously. Put aside my Sierra Nevada Celebration, cleaned my mouth out with some water, and decided to take one for the team, all in the name of science.

I expected the worst based on a lot of posts here about green beer, and needing time to smooth and mellow. Surprisingly, I found I had a mellow, robust (albeit flat) beer that had no off flavors or anything. It would be ready for the bottle if I had wanted to bottle it last night.

I can't feel 100% like "I made it" because it was an extract kit, AND someone else's recipe, but....I did ignore the instructions, did a full boil, and followed advice from just about every thread on this site, and it seems as if I'll have a good product to show for it.

Question....could I do a Cold Break at this point? If so...what temps do I do a Cold Break at?

Back