Have you experimented with Mash Times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
Just curious whether anyone has experimented with different mash times...

Snippet from BYO said you don't need to mash longer than 30 minutes most of the time. I know I've mashed batches for as long and 2.5 hours and as short as 60 minutes. But I have a terrible memory and couldn't quite tell you if there was a difference. What do you all think?

monk

I have done that. I've mashed until iodine test shows conversion, but usually don't even check until 40 minutes into the mash, and I've mashed for up to 75 minutes. My understanding is that a longer mash helps to make a more fermentable wort but I don't think I've actually had that experience.

I'd be very curious as to what others have done!

Yes when I started brewing I went with 90 minutes.
I have gotten it down to 45 minutes with no loss of effieciency.

Although I usually do other things whilst mashing so set the timer for 45 minutes and run off when ever I can.

I like Malty beers so don't mind a little unfermentables but I do that by mashing hot.

Ah...interesting. I thought I heard somewhere that longer mashing increased the perceived "maltiness". But maybe I'm confusing that with "longer boil = more melanoidins".

monk

Back