A good book for dog owners...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
Going through a lot with my oldest dog, Taka my Shiba Inu. 7 months ago he was diagnosed with IAHA (basically an autoimmune diosorder that causes the immune system to attack the red blood cells and plateletts). We figured then that he had cancer (which can cause IAHA), the vet thought bone cancer and suggested a bone marrow biopsy (very painful for the dog) but I refused on the grounds of concern for quality of life for the dog. We could find no sign in any other tests ...He almost died, but we managed to bring him back with dexamethizone, prednizone, and a few other drugs...

3 weeks ago he almost crashed again. This time an ultrasound revealed cancer in his intestines that was very slow growing, but causing pancreatitis. We are treating his pancreas, and have added 3 more drugs to his cocktail (6 total). His cancer is untreatable, but with the steroids (prednizone) we have slowed the progress quite a bit. The complications from the cancer are really the problem to his quality of life, treating them makes his life comfortable...

The reason for this post is I want to let you guys with canine companions know that there is a great book to read that has helped me make reasonable and thoughtful decision regarding quality of life for my dog.

Speaking for Spot, By Dr. Nancy Kay offers a lot of insight and help in this process. I am a dog trainer and run a rescue, so I deal a lot with clients that have dogs that are ill, or terminally ill. It's much easier to talk to a client about the right decisions, but when it's my own dog, I realize how difficult and emotionally frustrating it can be to go through this. The book has helped me a lot in the process, and I highly recomend it to anyone with a canine companion, especially folks with older dogs.

Thanks for the info. I'm nearing the end of a 300$ bottle of meds for my pups (hes not actually a puppy, almost 11 year old chocolate lab). Without them he and I would not be comfortable but with them he is 5 years younger. The issue is not only the expense but it is starting to get to the point that the meds aren't enough and he is visibly aging by the week.

Thanks for the info. I'm nearing the end of a 300$ bottle of meds for my pups (hes not actually a puppy, almost 11 year old chocolate lab). Without them he and I would not be comfortable but with them he is 5 years younger. The issue is not only the expense but it is starting to get to the point that the meds aren't enough and he is visibly aging by the week.

What is your pup taking?

Pain meds?

Rimadil is common for pain, if that is not working as well, talk to your vet about Tramidol. Tramidol is safe for the liver (especially a concern for and older Lab) and has somewhat of a calming effect along with the pain management.

Back