MillerCoors apparently up to something in WI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJL

Reaction score
WI Small Brewers vs. WI Motion 414

EDIT: So, I'm going to edit this one more time because it keeps getting bumped, and I've now seen 3 other threads on the same topic. I've listed all of the links that were available in other threads below

http://www.jsonline.com/business/122698854.html

http://www.madisonbeerreview.com/2011/06/text-of-branch-legislation-aka-motion.html

http://www.tyranena.com/BadNewsMotion414.pdf

http://www.osobrewing.com/userfiles/image/Motion414.pdf

http://positivebusiness.co/news/stop-millercoors-tapping-out-local-breweries

http://www.facebook.com/notes/oso-brewing/wisconsin-breweries-are-under-fire-again-please-read-and-share-on-your-wall-writ/133639320043819

https://www.facebook.com/notes/pearl-street-brewery/budget-bill-to-damage-wisconsins-small-brewers/218339011518888

Here are the links to the other threads in case you want to read further.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/wisconsin-trying-limit-small-craft-brewery-startups-248079/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/wisconsin-motion-414-a-250515/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/when-miller-coors-buys-your-governor-249295/

I'm guessing you can also visit the New Glarus Co, O'so, Pearl Street, Tyranena, or any other WI craft beer website or FB page, as well as the MillerCoors and WI Beer Distributors Assoc for the other side of the story.

I think there may have been an article about this in one of the latest BeerAdvocate rags. I'll check it out and see what I can dig up.

If you're out of state, you can contact the governor's office directly.

Maybe if my last name was Koch he would help...

I don't facebook so I couldn't follow your link. I tried New Glarus website and didn't see any mention of this. I'm interested to see what's up in WI. Keep us up to date.

Just thought I'd bump this since the other thread about it got closed due to some OT discussions.

Yeah, one of my friends who lives up in MN posted about this on her FB. Looks like BMC has some sour grapes (mash?) over the craft brewers "doin their thing" and want to make it more difficult and/or more costly for them to stay in business.

It's pretty hard to say anything without being political because it is. And it obviously has to be coming from miller coors and some support otherwise walker could care less about this.

It just sucks and at a time when WI is making great progress in craft brewing

I'm from WI, and the small breweries are one of the things (among many) that make the state great. I have many activist friends and family in WI who are big time craft beer lovers. I'll be sure to make them aware of anything that may be going on.

Walker has come in with the Republican majority, and the Koch brothers backing him all the way, and is doing everything possible to rid the state to entrepeneurship. Our craft breweries rock. We have Pearl Street here in La Crosse, and, Pioneer in Black River Falls.

Bump^ I updated with a new link in the edit but didn't bump it up.

Jesus, have any of you guys read the latest bill, or you just going off of what NG is saying? Not wanting to bring politics into this, but the reason for the posting is New Glarus is the biggest bunch of liberals and they're twisting this to make Walker look bad.

Miller-Coors are pushing this do to A. Busch from coming in and making an monoply on distribution, this will not effect and brewery brewing under 300k gallons annually, EXCEPTED they have to get a distribution license.

As a FIB who goes to Wisconsin regularly this sucks. The WI brewery's have been doing great things and grown greatly. This would definitely hurt their future growth.

Jesus, have any of you guys read the latest bill, or you just going off of what NG is saying? Not wanting to bring politics into this, but the reason for the posting is New Glarus is the biggest bunch of liberals and they're twisting this to make Walker look bad.

Miller-Coors are pushing this do to A. Busch from coming in and making an monoply on distribution, this will not effect and brewery brewing under 300k gallons annually, EXCEPTED they have to get a distribution license.

1st, Jesus (other than the buddy christ avatar pic) has nothing to do with this...

2nd, it is not yet a bill, it is Motion 414. Which was written in private without any input from the craft breweries. We would like to quash this before it gets to be a bill.

3rd, I am basing my stand point on what New Glarus, Oso's and Tyranya have put out there and what little I have been able to find on my own. Or are all these liberal breweries out to make Walker look bad? Not that he needs any help to do that...and I am a Republican...(Insert derogatory Walker statement here.)

4th, What does MC vs AB have diddly squat to do with how a small/craft brewery distributes their beer? These laws/bills/motions should singly address breweries that make over 500,000 bbls a year and leave all the wording for anything less than that alone, since that is not the issue here or is it?

5th, Think this move has anything to do with MC's new "3rd and Blake" craft brew line coming out soon? (I can hear the all the lights coming on now...)

This is an unamerican move by a major brewery to keep the "little guys" out of their pie. I said it once, I will say it again, I am done buying anything made or affiliated with BMC. I also refuse to drink it, even if it were free...

@#^&#$@* now I am all riled up, time for a beer...BTW I was not trying to single you out bh10 but it makes me mad as hell to see a "mega corp" come in and screw with the little guys...

1st, Jesus (other than the buddy christ avatar pic) has nothing to do with this...

2nd, it is not yet a bill, it is Motion 414. Which was written in private without any input from the craft breweries. We would like to quash this before it gets to be a bill.

3rd, I am basing my stand point on what New Glarus, Oso's and Tyranya have put out there and what little I have been able to find on my own. Or are all these liberal breweries out to make Walker look bad? Not that he needs any help to do that...and I am a Republican...(Insert derogatory Walker statement here.)

4th, What does MC vs AB have diddly squat to do with how a small/craft brewery distributes their beer? These laws/bills/motions should singly address breweries that make over 500,000 bbls a year and leave all the wording for anything less than that alone, since that is not the issue here or is it?

5th, Think this move has anything to do with MC's new "3rd and Blake" craft brew line coming out soon? (I can hear the all the lights coming on now...)

This is an unamerican move by a major brewery to keep the "little guys" out of their pie. I said it once, I will say it again, I am done buying anything made or affiliated with BMC. I also refuse to drink it, even if it were free...

@#^&#$@* now I am all riled up, time for a beer...BTW I was not trying to single you out bh10 but it makes me mad as hell to see a "mega corp" come in and screw with the little guys...

+1. big corporations use gov to stifle competition.

To be honest, the bill is not nearly as bad as NG has made it out to be. They are pretty crazy liberal over there. And when I say crazy, I mean it. I need to look into this more before passing real judgement. I am initially against the bill and I don't see how it would help little guys, but it isn't nearly as bad as they are making it seem (at least on first look).

To be honest, the bill is not nearly as bad as NG has made it out to be. They are pretty crazy liberal over there. And when I say crazy, I mean it. I need to look into this more before passing real judgement. I am initially against the bill and I don't see how it would help little guys, but it isn't nearly as bad as they are making it seem (at least on first look).

Funny isnt it.

I saw on the news last night that red eye and great dane brewpubs both had a protest. They dumped all miller product and will no longer order it. Maybe Walker will notice.

There was a press release today that Walker may consider vetoing this among other items in the budget bill. As a small business owner I find it very frustrating. The engine is never interested in the plight of the little guy.

Vintage brewing in Madison just got rid of Miller-Coors.

I met the Vintage brewer last weekend. Awesome guys, and wonderful beer! I enjoyed meeting them and I appreciate their support of other craft breweries.

I'm not a Wisconsin voter, just a Wisconsin drinker, but I'm watching this closely!

I met the Vintage brewer last weekend. Awesome guys, and wonderful beer! I enjoyed meeting them and I appreciate their support of other craft breweries.

I'm not a Wisconsin voter, just a Wisconsin drinker, but I'm watching this closely!

Yeah, they've got a really nice west side restaurant/brew pub and I like most of their beers. One of my buddies manages the place and next time I'm in there I'm going to ask him a bit more about the whole bill situation.

OT: One of the beers that the Vintage replaced Miller/Coors with is Rhinelander lager in little 7oz pony bottles for 2 bucks a pop.

I think The Vintage needs more brewing capacity. They seem to be out of at least 2-3 beers and sometimes half their list every time I go in. I love the place though. They make pretty decent Belgian style beers which are a rarity in Wisconsin.

There were rumors about Walker vetoing that part of the budget bill. I am not sure anything is final yet. It is hard to get any solid reliable news on this.

I'm more than happy to boycott sab including all miller, leinies, blue moon, peroni, and any venues forcing their product. My friend was at a festival yesterday that the vendor was told by miller they MAY NOT sell Corona mid way though the event.

From Furthermore Brewing Co.:

What is Furthermore Beer?
As a brewer by trade, I have always consider my business to be a brewing company even though we started out lean and mean without an actual brewing facility--we use Sand Creek Brewing Company's equipment to get the job done. As it happens, the Federal Government says that if a business does not own stainless steel, then it cannot be a brewer. Instead, it must sell its product as a wholesaler. So, Furthermore Beer holds a wholesalers permit that allows us to buy our beer from our contracted producer, and then resell it to retailers or distributors as we see fit. We began doing so by self distributing our product until such a time that it was clear that more capable, established distributors could do a far better job at hauling beer around the state. Unfortunately, one aspect of Motion 414 will force the DOR to penalize Furthermore Beer to the tune of $10,000 anually if we do not have 25 or more retail customers. Well, recognizing the strength of the established second tier, we gave up all of our retail accounts and now only have 5 distributors in WI to whom we sell beer. One option we do have is to sever ties with one or more retailers and take back the retail accounts. Aside from this running counter to the spirit of the motion--to help wholesalers maintain their place in the flow of product, we would have to buy back the territorial rights at a cost greater than the DOR fine.

Furthermore has been very grateful for the relationships it has established with its distributors, from helping us see the market through their eyes to offering their backs to actually move the beer. They have allowed us to grow in sales, and to crash on their couches. My concern with Motion 414 is not the degree to which it strengthens their position in the market, but the degree to which it could push me out.

SAB Miller wasn't the only one backing this legislation. The Grocers association, Tavern League of Wisconsin and some petroleum association of some sort also backed this bill. Are you proposing to boycott all those as well? It would seem you have to. Pretty much the only people who didn't back the bill were the brewers themselves and craft beer drinkers.

Edit: Sorry can't find the link but I wrote down those involved a couple days ago while doing some research. Miller/Coors, Wisconsin Beer Distributors Association, Tavern League of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Petroleum Marketers & Convenience Stores Association, the Wisconsin Wine & Spirits Institute, and Wisconsin Grocers Association.

Links

http://www.prwatch.org/news/2011/06/10792/beer-revolution-protesters-gather-protest-proposal-favors-millercoors-expense-sma

http://ashlandcurrent.com/article/11/06/01/south-shore-brewery-concerned-about-pending-legislation

The fact that it is so hard to find anything about this legislation should give us some idea where craft beer is even now. It is still just a niche market.

Back