Good beer is so damn expensive to not brew it myself...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
I mean come on, 4 pack of sammy smiths is almost 10 bucks after tax. That's ridiculous. I love my oatmeal stout even more than sammy smiths. I'm so glad I started brewing. I can't believe the prices on good beer. I respect the small breweries and all, but I just can't afford to not brew myself.

I don't worry too much about the prices of the commercial stuff. It is definately more expensive, but as of right now I don't brew enough to have a ready supply of homebrew. There are certain beers I have not tried though, just because of the price. $10 is about my cut-off point for a 4-6 pack.

The one reason I still like to drink it from the store is that I can try something, decide if I like the style and then brew it.

I enjoy brewing my own just for the fun aspect of it

I won't say price is no object, but there are hundreds of brews I haven't tried and intend to. Variety is good.

The local microbrews here aren't too expensive. But the only bar in town I can buy a Lambic at charges me $8 per bottle.

I figure as long as I stay under $300 for a 5 gallon brew, I'm coming out ahead.

I can get a 20 pack of franziskaner pints or a german pils, with a sexy hard-plastic beer case and dark bottles for 24 euro. That's about 30 bucks US. It's a pretty good filler while I'm waiting on my next batch of HB, or trying to let some of the bottles age a bit longer.

I just can't stand when I go to an american grocery store and the really good beer is so flippin expensive. I'm not too excited about moving back to the US in August, for more reasons than this of course, but this is definitely part of it.

Latest posts

Back