DIY yeast glove box w/pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudbuster

This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I get worried about infections mostly when I'm twinking with slants and plates. This took a lot of worry out of it, at least for me. I'm kinda anal....

glove_box2.JPG

glovebox.JPG

LOL! I don't know why but i thought this was going to have something to do with the glove box of a car!

Wow. Just, wow. I've never seen anything like that in the homebrew setting. Jamil Z. will be jealous (if he doesn't have one already). ;)

WoW is that 2 Folgers Coffee cans cut and glued together as the In/Out Threshold?

Don't get caught in Texas with something like that. You know what they do to people who possess flasks. This would be much worse. "What the hell ya got there boy?"

That's pretty creative and I love the toilet flanges. However, how can you culture yeast with sterile technique using that? I understand it isolates dust particles but how are you maintaing sterility of your equipment in there by not being able to flame?

You can use an alcohol burner inside, but chemical sterilants such as Lysol are more commonly used.

That's pretty creative and I love the toilet flanges. However, how can you culture yeast with sterile technique using that? I understand it isolates dust particles but how are you maintaing sterility of your equipment in there by not being able to flame?

The box is sanitized by spaying inside with a disinfectant on all surfaces and gloves 30 min before use. All equiptment is sterilized beforehand in a pressure cooker at 15lb for 30 min, then unwrapped inside the box. I do use a flame for the needle and loupe, although even as anal as I am, it is probably overkill..

The box is sanitized by spaying inside with a disinfectant on all surfaces and gloves 30 min before use. All equiptment is sterilized beforehand in a pressure cooker at 15lb for 30 min, then unwrapped inside the box. I do use a flame for the needle and loupe, although even as anal as I am, it is probably overkill..

Well if you are working with multiple cultures I don't see that the flame is overkill unless you have separate inoculation loops for every culture you are doing.

On short notice tonight I made 5 plates, stepped up 2 starters from 10ml to 100ml, and made 2 2L starters. All around my little alcohol burner on my clothes washer.

As cool as I think it would be to have something like this I think it would just increase the time it takes to do everything.

Well if you are working with multiple cultures I don't see that the flame is overkill unless you have separate inoculation loops for every culture you are doing.

On short notice tonight I made 5 plates, stepped up 2 starters from 10ml to 100ml, and made 2 2L starters. All around my little alcohol burner on my clothes washer.

As cool as I think it would be to have something like this I think it would just increase the time it takes to do everything.

Maybe it takes me longer to use the box, I don't know. But I'm retired and like to mess with it anyway. What's more, I know I've done all that can be done to prevent contaminating my yeast strains... :D

If you aren't filtering the air in the box how is it anymore sterile than your countertop? Manipulating your samples inside the glovebag, as you mentioned, is slower that doing it with unencumbered hands. The key for a success in microbiology is quick and accurate procedures that minimize the opportunity for contaminination. For delicate samples a laminar flow hood is the proper tool.
bio_hood.jpg

A glovebag would be a much simpler DIY solution.
Just look at how happy this biology student is
Anna%20with%20glove%20bag.JPG

Large clear plastic bag, kitchen gloves, duct tape, and an air compressor hooked to a hepa filter to pressurize the bag.

Just some thoughts, nice work on the box.

If you aren't filtering the air in the box how is it anymore sterile than your countertop? Manipulating your samples inside the glovebag, as you mentioned, is slower that doing it with unencumbered hands. The key for a success in microbiology is quick and accurate procedures that minimize the opportunity for contaminination. For delicate samples a laminar flow hood is the proper tool.

A glovebag would be a much simpler DIY solution.
Just look at how happy this biology student is
Anna%20with%20glove%20bag.JPG

Large clear plastic bag, kitchen gloves, duct tape, and an air compressor hooked to a hepa filter to pressurize the bag.

Just some thoughts, nice work on the box.

The box is filtered through a hepa filter as linked above. I used the plastic bag idea for a while, but it was a PITA. Have ypu priced a laminar flow hood?
In the words of my favorite actor/ philosopher Clint "opinions are like ********,......." and "get off my lawn". Thanks for the fresh input and cool pix, especially the bio student...:) Oh,and" minimizing the opportunity of contamination "was the impetus for this project.

glovebox.jpg

This box is over $2000. I've got $18 invested in mine.

Ah you beat me to the punch with the glovebag comment. You can make them (or get them made) by taking a heat sealer and melts the plastic around the edge. As mentioned above you would want to use hepa filters and maintain a positive pressure on the bag. When I used them we had sleeves that came out of the glove bag/box that were permanently attached, but the gloves were inverted, taped and pushed into the sleeve. That way you can repair or change out gloves if it becomes contaminated or torn. You don't want to use the same gloves twice until they've been deconned. We would do smoke tests on the bag to make sure that they were sealed properly too. Your glovebox does look awesome though!

Edit: I just wanted to clarify that it wasn't actual smoke that we used. It was this little tube that you'd crack. I didn't want anyone to read that and think that I was lighting a fire inside a glove bag... :p

you should lead plate it so that radiation cannot mutate the strains.

The box is filtered through a hepa filter as linked above. I used the plastic bag idea for a while, but it was a PITA. Have ypu priced a laminar flow hood?

Glovebag's are a huge PITA, I agree. I spent 2 months restoring a 30 year old inert atmosphere box just to avoid working with that constantly hissing and pseudo effective monstrosity.

Laminar flow hood runs $2-3k installed for a new low end model. That is assuming you have the duct work in place to exhaust it properly and the bells/whistles to make it a functional workspace (plumbing, vacuum pumps, 220V outlet). I wasn't meaning to imply that it is a practical option for the homebrewer, but I am of the firm mindset that the pros know what they are doing and can provide inspiration.

I saw your link to the AHS hepa filters. But I didn't see where on your rig you had a blower hooked up to recirculate air through them. What sort of pump do you have moving the air through filters? Do you purge the box atmosphere or recirculate through your hepa filters after you've moved items in through the antechamber?

I'm really curious to see what you've hooked for an air handler in this beast.

NERD ALERT! Seems a little overkill when so many are able to get awesome results with just a simple updraft created by a nearby candle. However, I must sub for posterity's sake.

Latest posts

Back