Any recommendations on Hydrometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintos

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing my second batch of beer, so I'm still new. I noticed my hydrometer floats crooked in it's tube, which makes it a little hard to read. The metal at the bottom of the hydrometer (which I read was lead, but I'm not really sure) seems to be formed crookedly, which could be the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Are certain hydrometers of better quality than others?

Maybe a wider tube might also help - I'm still using the cheap plastic one that came with the kit.

Thanks!

Be sure that the surface that the tube is sitting on is level. IOW, it may not be the hydrometer itself that is the problem. The main thing I look for in a hydrometer is how easy it is to read the gravity scale. The space between the graduations is larger with the higher quality units making them much easier to read. The downside it that they are usually physically longer and require a larger sample. I would also suggest you check it with plain water for accuracy before use. This is one of those times when you will likely get what you pay for, meaning spend a few bucks more for a good one.

Sounds like you got a bad one, but it isn't all that big a deal. I have two: a 0.970 to 1.250 and a 6 Brix ( about 1.024 to 0.976) for final gravity.

Mine likes to sorta stick to the side of my thief so I got to where I prefer to just sanitize the hyrdo and let it float in the fermentor or kettle for a reading, much easier to read when the float freely.

Thanks for the replies. So, any particular sites I should visit to buy a good hydrometer? particular brands?

Also, a hydrometer should read 1.000 in pure water, right?

Yes, pure water, AND at 60 degrees. Some are calibrated for 1.000 at 68 degrees. The paper that came with it should say which temp it's calibrated for.

Williams brewing has good ones. They also have a smaller cylinder so you don't waste as much beer for a sample.

I have two: a 0.970 to 1.250 and a 6 Brix ( about 1.024 to 0.976) for final gravity.

Where did you get that final gravity one? Mine goes 1.000 to 1.040, can't remember what I did without it. Oh, now I remember...got frustrated trying to see the FG.

Back