Project Monsterator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe
I don't think insulation on a collar would help with foaming. With your faucets in the cold area, insulation would just help the freezer to run more efficiently. A fan would help with stratification, moving the coldest air from the bottom and keeping your taps colder.
-Ben
That would definitely make sense :mug: I will look into it.
I was thinking more about the electric bill than I was about foaming.
I have a device at work (not exactly sure what it's called) but it will show me how much power this bad boy is pulling. Once I figure out how much it is I will share, and see if it's worth insulating :ban:

I have a device at work (not exactly sure what it's called) but it will show me how much power this bad boy is pulling. Once I figure out how much it is I will share, and see if it's worth insulating :ban:

Would be very interesting to see power usage before and after certain tweaks.

Having such a large freezer probably factors into this in your situation, but in general, what are the merits of a 2" thick collar vs. 1"? It seems like everyone uses 2x's... are 1x's too flimsy even for a smaller collar? It seems if 1x's were stiff enough they would be preferable for a few reasons: Cost of lumber, cost of shanks, room for insulation, and weight.

Precisely how do you determine how long your shanks need to be (i.e. how much length do the various fittings take up)?

Don't take this a criticism of your project. I'm just trying to plan out my own more reasonably sized keezer. It is my first order of business after I move next month :)

Not criticism at all, I love questions!

My decision to go with 2x4's was based on the lid of my freezer. I found that it fit very well onto the base of the freezer, and would mimic the original lid. I wanted a thicker piece of wood for the look as well as durability.

the 4" long shanks were purchased because it was the first size that I saw that was stainless. Also, I knew that a 4" would fit through the wood, so I went for it.

Hope that helps, or clarifies it a bit!

Insulation shouldn't have a major effect on the electric bill. because cold air sinks, chest freezers will still be pretty efficient even if you lose a bit of insulation.

This is why grocery stores can afforably have massive freezers in the middle of a floor without lids.

I notice i can leave the lid open for a long time tinkering with stuff before it will ever drop as much as a degree.

Insulation shouldn't have a major effect on the electric bill. because cold air sinks, chest freezers will still be pretty efficient even if you lose a bit of insulation.

This is why grocery stores can afforably have massive freezers in the middle of a floor without lids.

I notice i can leave the lid open for a long time tinkering with stuff before it will ever drop as much as a degree.

What is the temperature at the level of your collar?

This of course is assuming your temp probe is at the bottom of the fridge.

This of course is assuming your temp probe is at the bottom of the fridge.
What is the temperature at the level of your collar?

You're both right, the top temp will drop. And my probe is about 1 foot off the bottom.

My point isn't that the temp won't change, but rather that the difference between a perfectly sealed collar and a mediocre one won't destroy your pocketbook!*

*Unless your fridge is in a hut in Afghanistan.

Well, Today/tomorrow I'm stripping the paint back down and then starting again.

I will get it moving again soon, I promise. I want it done SOON.

sad to hear the paint problems. Don't have any advice for you on primers or techniques to help, but good luck.

It really was discouraging. Seeing all the work I put into it suddenly look like hell really put a damper on my progress.

The paint stripper is on it right now and we will be pulling all the paint off tomorrow.

I will upload a few pics when it's back to the way it was. My plan is to start re-priming it next week and get some serious progress done.

joe
sorry to hear that. what type of paint did you use?
Did you use any osphoric acid on the rusty spots? it helps convert the rust and takes longer for rust to eat through the primer. I use it on the boat and have pretty good results with it.
good luck man

joe
sorry to hear that. what type of paint did you use?
Did you use any osphoric acid on the rusty spots? it helps convert the rust and takes longer for rust to eat through the primer. I use it on the boat and have pretty good results with it.
good luck man

I used a water based primer and paint, and with it being bare metal already prone to a bit of surface rust it immediately started showing through.

I grabbed a gallon of this stuff:
Rust Doctor Products - Curing Rusty metal headaches. Rust treatments are a non-toxic way to repair rusty metal.

I'm going to put it inside and out of the entire unit so that all of the rust gets neutralized.

The paint is being removed by my girlfriend today (she rules, honestly) and Monday we will lay down the rust doctor and get back on track...finally!

I really can't wait for good updates and so I can get this bad boy moving again. I have 20 gallons of beer waiting to be kegged and pull a pint - It's very difficult not to right now!

That stuff works really well, You will be satisfied with the results. Sorry you had to find out the hard way that you needed the stuff.

Yeah, it really does.

The freezer is back to the way that it was:
Picture323.jpg

Tomorrow, the rust doctor goes to work. We are back on track and getting ready to kick some ass.

Also, I don't know if it's visible, but in the left hand corner of the room are the 2 redsox barstools. :)

On to some new pictures!

The Rust doctor stuff is crazy. Smells a bit when you are applying it, but the immediate change in the rusted metal is unreal.

This picture you can see that the bottom was treated with Rust Dr and the top has not been. We had only applied the Rust Dr. about 5 minutes before taking this picture. Imagine what more time will do.
Picture498.jpg

Color before putting on the Dr.
Picture501.jpg

After:
Picture504.jpg

Rust Spots getting neutralized. I honestly didn't think the inside was this bad. Clearly the Dr knows more than I do
Picture505.jpg

Again, compare the color from the picture that I posted yesterday:
Picture323.jpg

Picture507.jpg

Pretty crazy huh? Well, I'm off to bed. This stuff has to cure for up to 24 hours to see good results and tomorrow we plan on using it on the lid. More pics to follow tomorrow.

You then going to be painting the whole thing white over that with some KILZ then the plaid? The Rust Dr Stuff pretty awesome. I'll keep in it mind in the future.

+1 on Oil-(or shellac) based KILZ first. Very stinky, use fans. Drys in 30 minutes, seals well, toothy dull finish (as any good primer should be), seals in any stains, bleed-through, etc.
the latex Kilz just ain't all that. Don't recommend it.

this has been a great read! I'm new to the forum so I just read it all in one sitting...super cool project! Looking forward to those finished pics!

Well, the project will pick up again next week. For the last two days we haven't had water at the house - it's all over the basement instead!

Our line out for the washing machine/kitchen sink overflowed... it was power washed out but blew a crack in the water main in the process.(don't ask me how he did it). $2,000 later I won't be paying rent for a month and a half.

More pics on Monday/Tuesday.

D'oh! Talk about a cliff-hanger! :D "Tune in next week to see if our hero clears the canyon and rescues the fair maiden on the other side..."

-Tripod

Let's tack on the bad days....

This morning, we had to put my 12 year old Bernese Mountain Dog down. We believe he had a mild stroke and couldn't walk. He was completely happy and was mentally fine, but couldn't stand on his own legs. This dog has been around since I was 10 years old - I can barely function right now.

test.jpg

I don't know what to do with myself.

Losing a pet is really hard. I hope you have someone to help you get through.

We had a cocker spaniel in our family from when I was about 12. Friendliest dog I ever knew, happy and like a puppy until the end. He had congestive heart failure and my parents had to put him down back in October. Even when he was panting and could barely breath, he tried to jump on me when I came to say goodbye.

Hang in there, and remember the good times. You'll be telling stories about him for years.

So sorry to hear about your loss! My boxer pup is in love with a Burmese Mountain Dog down the street. They really are a great breed...

I'm sorry to hear it man. I loss a great dog after 16 years with it. I'll never have another one like it. Its always tough to lose a family member

Back