Airlock, Star San, and Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eves

Reaction score
I started my first batch of JAOM a little over two months ago. For some reason I decided to place the fermenter in an out of the way closet rather than my normal brewing closet. This meant that I completely forgot about it until my calendar alerted me that it was about ready. When I went up to check on it I noticed the airlock had so little liquid in it that it was definitely not keeping oxygen out. Now I know with beer the layer of CO2 sitting on top of the beer helps protect the beer from oxygen and truthfully you don't 'need' an airlock but I don't know how this might affect mead. Anyone know if this might have hurt the mead?

Also, when I saw the airlock was nearly empty I rushed to fill it. It was early in the morning and not quite awake yet so I just grabbed my Star San mixture and poured it in (I do this all the time with beer). Sadly, when I was done filling it I bumped the fermenter and some of the Star San mix got sucked in. Will that hurt the mead much? It really wasn't much that made its way in but I figured I'd ask.

Star san is fine in both the airlock and a bit in the mead, no harm no foul. Also, while it can lead to oxidation if you don't have a full airlock, you should be fine since you didn't move the carboy or anything it is unlikely you lost any of your co2 blanket. Keep the airlock filled and you should be fine.

Back