full volume boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyHobbit

Reaction score
Hello,
There is a recipie I am following that is extract and s calling for a 7 gal full volume boil...I'm surprised to see such a high volume boil!!! Can I do 3 gal boil then add 2 at the end?
Thanks- I'ts a Porter-

How long is the boil? You should lose about 3/4 a gallon per hour. If your goal is 5 gallons and the boil is 60 minutes, it is too much water.

You can, but the hop utilization will be off. That is about how much you have to start with to end up with 5 gallons. And you would need at least a 7.5 gallon pot, and that's going to be tough to work with. 10 gallons is a workable size.

How long is the boil? You should lose about 3/4 a gallon per hour. If your goal is 5 gallons and the boil is 60 minutes, it is too much water.

I end up with about 6 gallons in the kettle, get about 5.5 into the fermenter, and bottle about 5, leaving a half gallon of sediment behind in the kettle and fermenter.

Back