Addition of Dark brown sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Will a 1/3 of a pound impart any molasses flavor? I don't want to go higher than a 1/3 of a pound since i'm on the high end of style for alcohol. but wouldn't mind some molasses after glow.

thoughts?

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
79.2 % 6.00 Light Dry Malt Extract 54.0 2.4
6.6 % 0.50 Dextrin 2.3 0.2
3.3 % 0.25 British Chocolate 1.3 23.8
6.6 % 0.50 American Crystal 60L 2.6 6.0
4.4 % 0.33 Brown Sugar 3.0 0.1
7.58 63.1
Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
50.0 % 1.00 Cascade Pellet 6.6 6.6 60 0.045 29.5
25.0 % 0.50 Willamette Pellet 5.5 2.8 15 0.013 3.5
25.0 % 0.50 Willamette Pellet 5.5 2.8 2 0.002 0.4
2.00 33.4

have some at home... bought for a ham glaze.

when I brewed before I stayed completely away from any sugar adjuncts... tried some perfectly good (some times amazing) beers using AD"junk"TS. Had some around the house, getting ready to brew... what the heck... 1/3 of a lb into the pot on sturday. just looking for a subtle hint... should work...

hour long boil or less? last 15min?

I'd say last 5 min, or at flameout. If you boil it too long, you will dirve off all of the flavor. Even if you dump it in at flameout, the wort is still 212 degrees. More than hot enough to kill any baddies.

thanks edcculus.

Right at the end should work for me, not using a large qty. don't want to boil too much goodness away.

Brew day is coming~

I hope you realize that most store bought brown sugar has no molasses at all and it's just caramel coloring.

Cite, please. I'm not aware of any way to make brown sugar without molasses, and a random selection of sugar companies' websites (http://www.chsugar.com/Consumer/golden_brown.html Products and Processing: Retail Michigan Sugar Company - Products) as well as checking the two types that I have in my pantry fails to turn up any that don't have molasses.

I checked mine, no "molasses" in ingredients, but a distinct "molasses" smell, and taste.

Going to proceed as planned, but this is an interesting thread. I've had a friends beer using grocery store brown sugar several years ago and did get a distinct flavor addition.

will let you know aroma/taste after Saturday.

FWIW - The limited couple of times I've used brown sugar in beer, I've gotten really wacky aftertastes. I used real molasses in a brown ale, and it was quite tasty - just be conservative in use, as it imparts a strong taste.

Molasses won't be listed in the ingredients - it occurs naturally in cane sugar products. White table sugar is refined to remove the molasses (among other things).

Chriso

good wacky or bad wacky?
LOL (just like women- GOOD FUN WACKY, need more of, BAD EVIL WACKY, had my share of bad evil wacky for a lifetime, don't need it in my beer!)

1/4 cup? 1/2 cup molasses to recipe above? less? just want a subtle hint.

Grocery store Molasses ok?

Grocery store molasses is OK, and I'd use 2oz by weight for a minimal note, 4oz for a mild presence, 8oz for a very powerful presence.

Like bad wacky - somewhat sour and cidery, from a not-very-large amount of sugar too... I think I used 1/2 lb?

I hope you realize that most store bought brown sugar has no molasses at all and it's just caramel coloring.

my sugar crystals are brown all the way through see link below.

http://www.chsugar.com/Consumer/golden_brown.html Products and Processing: Retail Michigan Sugar Company - Products

Is the carmel coloring molasses to make sugar darker????

Pretty much been swayed away from the brown sugar.... Don't want any "Bad Wackiness" in my brown ale love brown ale style too much to take the risk.

2 oz of molasses it is! last few minutes of boil/ flame out

Can't have too many milk stout home brews brew day, get confused and
substitute 2 oz of Mole-"asses". blind furry little buggers tore up my yard!:cross:

thanks all!
great thread.

Back