Bottle Bomb - time frame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quikfeet509

Reaction score
If you bottle too early and create the possibility of bottle bombs, do they normally happen sooner or later? I want to move some of my bottles out of the basement and the brew was bottled 3 weeks ago, so I need to know if they are "safe" after this period of time.

I had a batch with a 5 month latency. The beers were great the first few months, then started to have excessive carbonation and finally exploded with very warm weather in the summer. It was a recipe that used lactose, which may have hidden the fact that I still did not have complete fermentation, stable (relatively high) gravity readings aside. If you're worried, once you've developed carbonation, keep them cool and drink fast!

I have been putting freshly bottled beers in a big cooler to serve as a bomb containment vessel. I had three bombs in one night and this was with stable cool temps and 2-3 weeks after bottling. I am really scared of my beer cellar getting trashed as it has a carpeted floor!

Somewhat like the comment above, I keep my bottles in large Rubbermade containers - protects from bottle bombs and keeps the light out too.

Back