Maybe oxidized

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Well I was transferring my wheat into the secondary today. There were alot of little bubbles in the autosiphon tubing that I couldn't get rid of. There were no leaks in the tubing, and I torqued the clamp around the top of the fitting. But no matter what I did, air bubbles were througout the tubing, only to float up to the top in the secondary.

Anyways....now its sitting in the primary and the top 1/2" of the beer is a whole lot darker than the rest. Its been there for about 2 hours now, and i have a bunch of white patches floating on the surface. Has anyone run into anything like this before?

Everything was sterilized so I don't think its bacteria on the surface, especially that much after only two hours. I think im just more curious than worried.

-thanks

RELAX!!! It's very common and you have NOTHING to worry about!

Actually, your beer is DARKER at the top because it is clearing (the yeast is falling out of suspension). That's a good sign.

Any floaties are sediment you transferred. They'll fall out also.:D

The floating white patches I have seen before floating in the secondary. These many times are actually very tiny bubbles clumped together. At first, they look like little bits of white gunk floating there, but if you look very closely you can usually see the bubbles.

mwessinger said:
The floating white patches I have seen before floating in the secondary. These many times are actually very tiny bubbles clumped together. At first, they look like little bits of white gunk floating there, but if you look very closely you can usually see the bubbles.

Your right. very small bubbles clumped together.

Ok, freak out period over. *Runs to fridge to grab a beer*

Back