Dumb ?: Continental Pilsener Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoXJ13

Reaction score
By continental, do they mean US made? My LHBS has Castle (belgian), Weyerman (Ger), and some sort of US Pilsener malt. Making a Belgian Pale Ale and the recipe (Jamil, classic styles) says to use Continental Pilsener Malt.

Thanks

BierMuncher said:
Ya got me stumped.

I say go for the Belgian Pilsner....tis all good :D

yes, but at $70/55# for the castle and weyerman, it is pricey...I think the american would be a fair bit cheaper, I didn't see who the malster was though.

castle is great stuff and worth every penny.. I started using it and the difference is worth the money IMO.

'Continental' usually refers to countries in Europe. In this case since it's a Belgian Pale Ale I would think the Castle would be most appropriate. It it were a German beer I would go for Weyermann.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
yes, but at $70/55# for the castle and weyerman, it is pricey...I think the american would be a fair bit cheaper, I didn't see who the malster was though.
Dude...time to organize a bulk purchase.

Weyermann Pilsner....$37.50 per 55# sack.

bradsul said:
'Continental' usually refers to countries in Europe. In this case since it's a Belgian Pale Ale I would think the Castle would be most appropriate. It it were a German beer I would go for Weyermann.

+1 "Continental" means the European continent, not to include the British Isles. It's the same meaning as "Continental Breakfast".

Just to further clarify, "continental" refers to the mainland portion of Europe (i.e., not the British Isles or Scandanavia). That's pure trivia, since I can't remember the last time I saw British pilsner malt on the market. :)

TL

Ya "continental" means Continental Europe ie not Britian or Scandinavia.

As everyone had already said.

To add a little something to the thread Jamil has often said use "Continental" pilsner don't get too work up if you have a German/Czech/Belgium Pils to make a Boh/German Pils or Belgium Strong Golden. Get a good quality "continental" pils and it will be fine for all.

Rudeboy

So I ended up spending the $70 on the castle pils...its ok, it will get used. The LHBS guy did say he has used the US Rahr pilsener malt and he things it is very similar, and only costs $50 a sack...may have to use it in the future, I have used Rahr 2-row for most of my beers (that don't call for MO) and it is a fine malt.

Latest posts

Back