No name element vs camco?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Upgrading from my test system to my full sized pot. Need to get a bigger element, but need to stay 110v.

Grainger has a 1600w 110v zinc plated no name.
Amazon has a 5500w 240v ripple Camco element.

When I put the grainger one in my shopping cart I get this questionaire about using it for potable water. Is it the zinc that they are talking about or basically since a mexican sourced no brand name it could be anything.

???

http://www.grainger.com/product/Water-Heater-Element-2E754?s_pp=false

I would like to have the 1600w over the 1300w.

ps....still considering if I will do the citric acid wash to get zinc off or not.

Thanks wilserbrewer! Totally going to get that one now. (Although shipping seems to be extremely steep, $16 to get to midwest?!?!?) But I guess they got away with it.

Your welcome! Just please mail me a nickel for every minute the additional 400w saves you ;), and it will make a significant difference!

FWIW I have been using 2000w 120v HD elements available at Home Depot for like 10 bucks for years and many, many batches. Got bitten once and scorched a batch, only because I took an hour break or so b/w runoff and boil and all the trub settled around the element and burnt black as night. I have read this can also happen with the lower density elements, so whatever you choose...you've been warned...cheers!

Up to you, I'm still using the HD elements, but now I know the limitations...

Back