brewferm belgian.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerhammer

Reaction score
Anyone out there have any info on brewferm belgian lme?any good? Also,when I added dme(muntons light) recently to a brew it caked up on the stiring spoon and formed lumps in the brew,after plenty of elbow grease was applied to the stiring the lumps disolved.Is this the norm or should I add it in a different way?

You can add the DME really slowly whilst stirring and it might dissolve a bit better without so much clumping but from my experience with adding DME it's six and half a dozen. I just dump the contents of the bag into my brew kettle, whilst still cool but heating up for the boil, and keep stirring 'til the clumps have disappeared. Doesn't usually take all that long. One bag and stir 'til clear then add next bag. What I find a pain in the arse is if you try adding DME near the end of the boil and all the steam rising makes the DME clump in and on the bag.

Don't have any experience with the Brewferm kits. Have contemplated using their trippel or Grand Cru to see what they are like though, just haven't got round to it yet.

hehe, I just posted this in another thread, but I have brewed with Brewferm Gold LME, and a Muntons light DME and a Wheat DME (plus a tiny bit of caster sugar), and it made a lovely beer in a very short space of time. 1 week in and I could have drank it all out of the fermenter.
The yeast smelled kind of funny at first; I normally like the smell of yeasts getting to work but not this one, awful right from opening the packet. However, it did a fantastic job, and that's probably just me.
I re-hydrated the yeast as in the (clear) instructions, but I also boiled the LME, DME and sugar for 15 minutes (after getting the clumps out the way, and damn near everything got sticky! I can't help you there!).
I didn't secondary (although recommended in the instructions) but it's up to you - The beer was clear enough from the primary.

Back