2012 HBT Fantasy Baseball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Starting up another year of our fantasy baseball. Our HBT league is going into it's third year. We have a lot of fun throughout the season.

This year, we have two open slots for new members. We need people who will follow and upkeep their team throughout the entire season. This is a weekly head-to-head, point based league. It is also a keeper league, so you'll be inheriting a team from last year from which you can choose what players (if any) you'd like to keep for the coming season.

Best of all, this is a free league. Occasionally, people will wager some beer on a weekly matchup, but it's all friendly. If anything dicey goes down, we self-police and settle things.

This year, I've asked Othon (MMTG on HBT) to be co-manager of the league with me. With a six month old at home now, I am afraid I won't be able to keep up with some of the league management responsibilities. Othon has been one of the original members, has a cool head, and is invested in the league. He's a good man, and will be a good manager.

If you're interested, post up in this thread and PM me with your name, your team name and your email address.

And, yes, it's only Valentine's Day. But real baseball fans are ready to go...

Hey! Just checked the league site.

Apparently we have 2 Red Sox fans joining now? Jeeeeeeeeez! Isn't there a rule against something like that? We should be protected from having to put up with all that!:)

Seriously, though....Sunday draft will probably work for me. How's that gonna work for the guy across the pond? Might be well into early Monday for him though. I'm usually free on Sunday nights unless I'm brewing.

Hey! Just checked the league site.

Apparently we have 2 Red Sox fans joining now? Jeeeeeeeeez! Isn't there a rule against something like that? We should be protected from having to put up with all that!:)

Seriously, though....Sunday draft will probably work for me. How's that gonna work for the guy across the pond? Might be well into early Monday for him though. I'm usually free on Sunday nights unless I'm brewing.

Hey Guidry. Good to hear from you. How are things down in Louisiana?

Good point on timing of the draft. Al, we'll try to take that into consideration in planning the draft time. However, keep in mind that the rest of us are stateside.

Well I inherited quite the team and not a Red Sox player in sight!

Sunday evenings are pretty much the best possible time for me throughout the week. I am likely able to fit in many evenings but Tues-Thurs nights are out for me.

I look forward to discussing my two great loves with a league full of people who must feel similar!

Right on, Dave. I really hope those loves are baseball and brewing, otherwise this could be a very awkward season.

haha

Hey guys, in my defence I started following the Sox while they were still 86 year losers... So no bandwagonning...

That aside the main point is the draft. When it's 5pm in the east it's 10pm over here, so if you guys could do evening rather than night I am sure I could stay up a little past my bedtime!

Just in case is there an auto draft setting?

Shakespearean Sonnets and Wine Coolers. I cannot fathom how you missed the boat so badly on that one!

This is going to be a long season. ;)

Hey guys, in my defence I started following the Sox while they were still 86 year losers... So no bandwagonning...

That aside the main point is the draft. When it's 5pm in the east it's 10pm over here, so if you guys could do evening rather than night I am sure I could stay up a little past my bedtime!

Just in case is there an auto draft setting?

This may be difficult, Al, as half of our league is on the West coast here in the states. We might be able to push it back to 8pm EST, but let's wait to see what our California contingent has to say first.

Oh, and you'd hate my xbox live tag: BUCKNER86

Nevertheless, you can certainly pre-rank all of the players, or leave the default rankings (I ended up with Peyton Manning in the NFL draft this past season because of damned default settings, so be careful). If you're unable to attend the live draft, a team will be drafted for you by the computer based upon your set rankings.

Proposal of draft date: Sunday, March 19th at 8:15pm.

Going to set the draft date by the end of February.

Yeah- September was shocking! I couldn't believe it! I don't get to watch many games live- a home game first pitch is midnight for me, so I usually read MLB.com first thing and maybe get to watch the game on archive next day. Every morning through September was like: what AGAIN?

Anywho... I'd rather be a redsox guy than a Yankees guy any day of the week, and twice on sundays. And you never know, Cherry and Bobby V might do well. I know Cherrington learned off Epstein, and has a lot of varied experience so none of that can be bad- lets see what he can do. Bobby V? I don't know anything about the guy apart from the stories you hear so I'm looking forward to seeing if he can control the locker room/ clubhouse antics.

Roll on spring training!

Al

PS. I should be able to make it to the draft- thanks for taking my time zone into consideration!

I watched Bobby V manage the Mets in the lat 90s early 2000s. I think he can do good things with the Sox. I'm pissed the Mets didn't pick him as manager.

Fixed it.....That narrows it down to ummmmmm, now?

No excuse for being a RedSox fan!:) Well, maybe only as a direct step off the Yankee bandwagon.

I read an interesting tidbit today. The Red Sox have spent over a billion dollars on free agents in the last 20 years. The only other team to do that? The Yankees. In the last five years.

I read an interesting tidbit today. The Red Sox have spent over a billion dollars on free agents in the last 20 years. The only other team to do that? The Yankees. In the last five years.

Ugh. That's despicable.

pointerDixie214 said:
BLAST! Saw the thread too late. My last league dissovled (punks didn't wanna participate).

We'll be in touch if a spot opens. Someone else may decide not to return.

He came! He came! Santa came last night and brought Pitchers and Catchers!!

Going to be sending out a league email to check in with people. If we don't hear from people by the second week of March, we'll be looking to fill those slots.

Who do we think is going to be the first player to go down with ijury this Spring? Victor Martinez doesn't count. My money is on Jose Reyes. Sadly, I have him as a keeper.

Oh! And WTF am I to do with Ryan Braun?? Ugh.

The PEI Yankees are back for another season. I hope everyone in the league enjoys this as much as I do!

Now, if my Yankees can deal Burnett (which looks like it will happen), then my baseball season will be starting perfect.

The PEI Yankees are back for another season. I hope everyone in the league enjoys this as much as I do!

Now, if my Yankees can deal Burnett (which looks like it will happen), then my baseball season will be starting perfect.

I thought Burnett to Pittsburgh was a done deal already?

Anybody thinking about their keepers?

I am thinking:

Paul Konerko
Robinson Cano
Evan Longoria
Elvis Andrus
Jered Weaver
Roy Halladay
CC Sabathia

Although, I still have a soft spot for Mariano Rivera, Jonathan Papelbon and Justin Morneau. There is still much baseball to be played before the season starts, so this may change.

Awesome! Looks like we're just about at capacity. I know Othon will be back (Lipstick City), and I'm pretty sure Wendy will be back. Anyone heard from Ray or have access to him? It was great that he was able to participate in the league last year. Missed his interaction on here though. He's a good guy.

For keepers, here's what I am going with:

Ryan Braun
Troy Tulowitski
Jose Reyes
Cliff Lee
Mike Stanton
*Michael Young
*Brian Wilson

I have to see how Young and Wilson are looking in Spring Training.
Still waiting to hear about Braun's appeal. I reallyreallyreally hope he's not out until Memorial Day. Really.

Oh keepers.

I am thinking:

Ian Kinsler
Adrian Beltre
Hanley Ramirez
Chase Utley (unless someone wants a keeper at 2b and will trade an OF or SP for him pre draft)

Johnny, just drop Braun, you don't really need him!

Tempting, but no. I'm not an Utley fan, and I question his continued productivity.

Even with a 50 game suspension, I think Braun is still a top 10 player.

Back