Mr-Malty says i need twice the cell count.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
That i need 732 billion yeast cells to do this Belgian quad, the Kit came with two packs of T-58 dry yeast. putting me at 460 billion cells....

Mr malty says not to do a starter with dry yeasts. But i need 40% more yeast cells. I don't want to have to buy another two packs of yeast.

Can I still make the starter to boost the number of cells?

Disregard, I forgot Quads are Ales not Lagers. Only need 366 billion

You can make a start with dry yeast if you properly re hydrate the yeast before making the starter.

You'd need a pretty huge starter to grow a population of 230 billion cells per pack. Might as well brew a small beer and harvest enough slurry to pitch into the quad from there, or pitch what you have directly into the quad after rehydrating, and manage the additional ester/phenol formation with temp control.

Actually only need to grow 136 billion additional cells per pack(11.5 gram).

One of the problems is Mr Maltys calculator only calculates starter size for liquid yeasts. Theoretically the way they dry the yeast they pack it with nutrient to help it re-hydrate. A starter can deplete those nutrients.

Back