Brewmometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmkealiher

Reaction score
First time using a brewmometer today and I'm noticing a 12 degree difference between that and my other thermometer. Anyone else have this problem? The brewmometer is brand new, which one should I trust?

I have one of these and it is exactly correct. I tested it in icewater and a lab (electronic) thermometer.

I did buy a similar bimetal thermometer from Bobby_M that was wildly incorrect, in a non-linear way, so I couldn't calibrate it. These things are rudimentary and I'm not surprised to see that some of them are way off.

Try putting yours in a bath of icewater (don't have the thermometer against the ice or the container, try to suspend in water). Calibrate to zero (C) by turning the adjustment screw on the back.

Now put it in boiling water. If it reads ~ 212, it's accurate. If not, return.

Are you testing it submerged or at ambient? What's your other thermometer? The easiest way to tell if a thermometer is off is if you have at least 2 others which agree with eachother. With only two - it could be either one. If you don't have another thermometer, try boiling water. It should read 212F (unless you live at elevation, in which case, google a table for boiling water at various elevations). You can also use slushy ice water, but you need to use distilled water (you should read 32F). I believe that brewmometers can be calibrated if it is off.

I have three of them and they are all junk. They have all been calibrated, yet they read at least ten degrees off at mash temps. I never look at them any more. I just use dial-type thermometers. They are a PITA, but they are accurate.

nbolmer said:
Are you testing it submerged or at ambient? What's your other thermometer? The easiest way to tell if a thermometer is off is if you have at least 2 others which agree with eachother. With only two - it could be either one. If you don't have another thermometer, try boiling water. It should read 212F (unless you live at elevation, in which case, google a table for boiling water at various elevations). You can also use slushy ice water, but you need to use distilled water (you should read 32F). I believe that brewmometers can be calibrated if it is off.

Why distilled water? I'm a chef professional chef and I have never heard of calibrating a thermometer with distilled water. I'm curious about that.

Brewmeters are dial-type thermometers, right?

Yep. He must mean other dial-type thermometers. I have my HLT and Mash Tun fitted with Reotemp bi-metal thermometers which work great, but are slow (fine for HLT, not so great for mash).

I'd like to switch to an appropriate unit by thermoworks (I use their thermapen thermometers exclusively at my pub, they are incredibly fast, and extremely accurate). Doing some brief google-fu, I've seen other people with similar issues with brewmometers (still not accurate after calibrating, at various temps). Not to say they aren't good - no personal experience with them.

I have one and it can go from accurate to off 10 degrees in a heartbeat. My solution is to not trust it and give it a good whack with my palm which can get it working again.

It is a POS.

Why distilled water? I'm a chef professional chef and I have never heard of calibrating a thermometer with distilled water. I'm curious about that.

Dissolved solids that make up certain water supplies can throw off the freezing / melting point by a few percent. It may be a slight (or no difference) depending on your water, but our health inspector recommends it.

nbolmer said:
Dissolved solids that make up certain water supplies can throw off the freezing / melting point by a few percent. It may be a slight (or no difference) depending on your water, but our health inspector recommends it.

Very interesting. That makes sense though.

First time using a brewmometer today and I'm noticing a 12 degree difference between that and my other thermometer. Anyone else have this problem? The brewmometer is brand new, which one should I trust?

I have brewmometers on my two Boilermakers. Both needed to be calibrated, especially once they were mounted and I had angled their faces up ~20°. The adjuster uses a small hex head screw at the upper rear.

Once calibrated against my Thermapen they've been very reliable. If you can't get yours to the same state I would get it replaced...

Cheers!

Back