Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed 9/7/14, bottled 10/6/14 and I'm half way through it now. At its peak now, and just delicious. A hop bomb with just the right touch of roast. Midnight wheat worked well to keep it dialed down enough so that the roast astringency doesn't dominate.

Great recipe that I will brew again and recommend for fans of double hopped beers! And 9.4% at that!

Cheers!

I brewed a version of this yesterday and the candy was the last 15 mins. I couldn't get pacific jade and substituted Amarillo.
I had a taste before I added 15 min hops and candy and it was spicy and delicious, I may try a batch with out candy...
I had a huge boil off in the 90 min boil and ended up with 4.5 gallons (started with seven) and gravity waaaay up there at 1.135! Added 1 gallon on water and it came down to 1.093 then a huge 1 gallon starter when cooled. Within 12 hrs that sucker is bubbling hard.

Brewed 5.5gal batch of this 4 days ago. Followed recipe exactly, except for 2 packs rehydrated US-05 and whirlpooled (by hand) the citra & pacific jade flameout hops at 175° for 60 min. Batch sparged @ 150° filled my 10gal home depot mash tun to the brim! OG was 1.104. Will update with more details. Smells awesome, still very active in carboy 96 hrs post pitch. Tons of hop material in suspension. Definitely will need a quality cold crash.

Excited about this one!

Kegged today! Finished at 1.024 after 3 weeks in primary. Hopefully that's not too high. Warm gravity sample doesn't taste sweet due to 100+ IBU :). Thicker mouthfeel than I'm used to but carbonation will help with that. Can't wait to taste this out the tap! The 2.5oz, 7 day Nelson Sauvin dry hop really stoked the hop aroma.

I bottled mine and still have 20 or so left, and the hop aroma is still amazingly potent.

Only big difference was that I subbed Galaxy instead of Pacific Jade. If I do again I may also back off the Columbus bittering addition slightly, as it's pretty powerful.

Sounds like you had great attenuation! That's a monster Black IIPA at ~10.7% abv! Cheers!

I bottled mine and still have 20 or so left, and the hop aroma is still amazingly potent.

Only big difference was that I subbed Galaxy instead of Pacific Jade. If I do again I may also back off the Columbus bittering addition slightly, as it's pretty powerful.

Sounds like you had great attenuation! That's a monster Black IIPA at ~10.7% abv! Cheers!

It is a monster that's for sure! My thoughts exactly - I've already made a note on my brewsheet to do 75% of my Columbus for the next time. Maybe a little off the Carafa and Chocolate combo too as mine is more "roasty" than what I like personally. I like your suggestion of using midnight. That being said, it's FANTASTIC. Should be fully carbed by Super Bowl Sunday :tank:

It is a monster that's for sure! My thoughts exactly - I've already made a note on my brewsheet to do 75% of my Columbus for the next time. Maybe a little off the Carafa and Chocolate combo too as mine is more "roasty" than what I like personally. I like your suggestion of using midnight. That being said, it's FANTASTIC. Should be fully carbed by Super Bowl Sunday :tank:

I'm sue most of you have seen the announcement by now, but this is being re-released as a permanent fixture. Replacing the SSR Black IPA. Of course it is being Re-released as Enjoy By Black IPA.
Does this mean they're using Galaxy/Nelson hops to dryhop much like Enjoy by is now??

I'm sue most of you have seen the announcement by now, but this is being re-released as a permanent fixture. Replacing the SSR Black IPA. Of course it is being Re-released as Enjoy By Black IPA.
Does this mean they're using Galaxy/Nelson hops to dryhop much like Enjoy by is now??

I didnt gather that from the article. I thought they were doing a whole new brew for the black IPA. It just says they've learned what to do from SSR and the 15th. Either way, I'm bummed about the departure of ssr and excited for the new enjoy by black.

I didnt gather that from the article. I thought they were doing a whole new brew for the black IPA. It just says they've learned what to do from SSR and the 15th. Either way, I'm bummed about the departure of ssr and excited for the new enjoy by black.

I read it that they were essentially re-releasing "a" version of this beer, and naming it Enjoy by Black.
Maybe I misunderstood or read it wrong. either way its kind of exciting.

Looks like stone will be re releasing the 15th this year. Good opportunity to do more research :D

I just did a quick google search for confirmation of this and came up with nothing. Where did you see/hear about them rereleasing this? I don't want to get too excited without confirming the possibility.

I just did a quick google search for confirmation of this and came up with nothing. Where did you see/hear about them rereleasing this? I don't want to get too excited without confirming the possibility.

Stone made their entire beer release calendar available to the public on their website earlier this year...

http://www.stonebrewing.com/shop/beer-release-schedule#ageGatePassed

It's gonna be part of their 20th anniversary encore series and should be released as part of a mixed 4-pack (and draft) with the 5th, 10th, and 20th anniversary beers

Just had this last night at Stone tasting room in Oceanside. It was quite amazing... They had 3 different "re-brews" on tap. Stone 15th Anniv, 5th and I forget what the last one was.. But the 15th was the best tasting black IPA Ive ever had.. More like a roasty imperial stout... great beer

Just had this last night at Stone tasting room in Oceanside. It was quite amazing... They had 3 different "re-brews" on tap. Stone 15th Anniv, 5th and I forget what the last one was.. But the 15th was the best tasting black IPA Ive ever had.. More like a roasty imperial stout... great beer

Where was my invite? :D

The third was either the 10th or the 02.02.02 vertical epic. Already killed a couple bottles of the 15th re-release. Delish

I took home a 'crowler' of the 15th Anniv..wonderful stuff! I think I'll try to brew this soon..

Ah man, I remember going to Stones 11th Anniversary Brewfest, and tried this there and how awesome it was. I even got a pint glass and got to keep my tasting glass but both broke (so sad).

I have yet to try this 15th anniversary one, is it a worthy replacement??

Ah man, I remember going to Stones 11th Anniversary Brewfest, and tried this there and how awesome it was. I even got a pint glass and got to keep my tasting glass but both broke (so sad).

I have yet to try this 15th anniversary one, is it a worthy replacement??

The 15th didn't replace it, but if it did, yes it would be haha. The 15th has only been released twice now. The replacement was supposed to be enjoy by black but it was awful. Literally their enjoy by IPA with some black malt and it did not do very well. Which is why I assume they haven't made it recently

Brewed this recently and am not satisfied with the hopiness in my batch. Totally overshadowed by the dark grains. I like the beer, but my version did not turn out as an IPA. More like a hoppy imperial porter/stout. Not sure what I'd do differently.

Back