2nd AG - no mash out batch sparge *CHECK MY MATH*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idigg

Reaction score
So the first AG I did, I did a mash out, and it took me along time. I want to try a no mash out process this time, and would like someone to check my math.

I'm using a coleman 48quart MLT with braided SS filter.
Brewing NB 3 hearted ale, and I'm going to add an extra lb of base.
13lbs grain total
Preboil 7 gallon

Is water to grain ration of 1.5 - 1.75 good for a no mash out batch sparge?

Ratio water to grain quarts/pound 1.5
Mash with 4.8 gallons of water for 60min
Vorlauf and should get 3.75 gallons?
Heat 3.5 gallons of sparge and should get 3.5 back

Total wort should be 7.25 gallon preboil? Bobby M???

Thank you,
justin

how much do you boil off? you boiling outside?, cause i'm in thiensville and with this winter, i've been boiling off a lot more than normal

i usually don't mash out, and stick to 1.25 qt/lb, 1.25*13 = 4 gallons

i usually lose .14 gallons per pound of grain, so that's 1.82 gallons absorbed. 4 - 1.82 = 2.18. 7.25 - 2.18 = 5 gallons sparge, don't lose much sparge water.

if you mash thinner you'll need to adjust obviously.

So the first AG I did, I did a mash out, and it took me along time. I want to try a no mash out process this time, and would like someone to check my math.

I'm using a coleman 48quart MLT with braided SS filter.
Brewing NB 3 hearted ale, and I'm going to add an extra lb of base.
13lbs grain total
Preboil 7 gallon

Is water to grain ration of 1.5 - 1.75 good for a no mash out batch sparge?

Ratio water to grain quarts/pound 1.5
Mash with 4.8 gallons of water for 60min
Vorlauf and should get 3.75 gallons?
Heat 3.5 gallons of sparge and should get 3.5 back

Total wort should be 7.25 gallon preboil? Bobby M???

Thank you,
justin

If you'd like a program to walk you through a batch sparge download my Brew Chart below. It is set up for batch sparging and maximizing efficiency by getting 50% of your boil volume from the mash and the other 50% from the sparge.

If you do so and have questions please feel free to pm me and I can walk you through it all. It's quite simple once you learn it.

As to your numbers, you'll need to figure out what your boil off rate is in order to truly know how the other numbers will equate. If your preboil volume wanted is truly 7 gallons then I would estimate as follows:

13 x .125 = 1.63 gallons absorbed by grain
7 / 2 + 1.63 = 5.13 gallons strike water/mash water (1.58 quarts per gallon)
5.13 - 1.63 = 3.5 gallons yielded from mash to your BK
7 - 3.5 = 3.5 volumes of sparge water to use
3.5 + 3.5 = 7 gallons pre boil volume in BK

Now, if you feel you need more than 7 gallons preboil to hit your target batch size then adjust the numbers accordingly for that preboil volume.

Good luck.

cp

If you'd like a program to walk you through a batch sparge download my Brew Chart below. It is set up for batch sparging and maximizing efficiency by getting 50% of your boil volume from the mash and the other 50% from the sparge.

If you do so and have questions please feel free to pm me and I can walk you through it all. It's quite simple once you learn it.

As to your numbers, you'll need to figure out what your boil off rate is in order to truly know how the other numbers will equate. If your preboil volume wanted is truly 7 gallons then I would estimate as follows:

13 x .125 = 1.63 gallons absorbed by grain
7 / 2 + 1.63 = 5.13 gallons strike water/mash water (1.58 quarts per gallon)
5.13 - 1.63 = 3.5 gallons yielded from mash to your BK
7 - 3.5 = 3.5 volumes of sparge water to use
3.5 + 3.5 = 7 gallons pre boil volume in BK

Now, if you feel you need more than 7 gallons preboil to hit your target batch size then adjust the numbers accordingly for that preboil volume.

Good luck.

cp

Maybe I should try this instead of a mash out/batch sparge. It seems most mash on the thicker side instead of thinner side, but in this scenario you are on the thinner side of the mash. What's influencing the efficiency here? Is it the even split between mash water and sparge water or is it the thinner mash?

It's the even split. The idea is based upon the work/research of Ken Schwartz and Kai. Basically the further you get from 50/50 the worse your efficiency gets. Keep in mind, you wouldn't have a real noticeable difference at 60/40 from what I understand, but as you get further away you lose more.

Here are links to that work/research:

Ken Schwartz - http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/files/nbsparge.html

Kai - http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Batch_Sparging_Analysis

Let me know if you have any further questions.

cp

Thank you so much for the chart CP - spreadsheet looks amazing. I'm sure I will be PM'ing you if I can't figure it out. Did you get a lot of snow like us here in Milwaukee?

No problem. Please do contact me with questions.

Yes, we got nailed as well. Though I don't think as bad as you did. I'm just outside of Madison. Our company actually decided to close yesterday which has never happened in the 8 years I've been here.

Back