Wiring a Spa Disconnect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefkeith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I've read several accounts of people using spa disconnects here on the forums, but I'm still a little unclear about the actual wiring.

Currently, I'd like to use the 50 amp spa disconnect with GFCI as sort of an in-line GFCI. Is it acceptable to use it in this manner, or does it need to be mounted to a surface?

Secondly, I'm using a four-pronged range outlet that's on a 40 amp circuit. My control panel for my brewery is wired for 30 amps. Can I install a 30 amp breaker in the spa disconnect to protect against overload while using the 50 amp breaker for GFCI? It seems that I remember someone here doing that, but I don't think it was discussed in depth. I'm not even sure I could install another circuit breaker in the spa disconnect (I realize I would have to cut a hole).

Third, and I think there's some conflicting views on this point, would it be OK to use 10 awg wire from the range outlet to the disconnect since it won't be pulling any more than 30 amps?

I would just get a 50 amp GFCI to install in the main breaker box, but I need to use the range circuit for the time being (40 amps, so that's a no-go) until I complete my brewery, which will have a dedicated 50 amp circuit.

Thanks!

On second thought, I'm going to temporarily install a 30 amp breaker in the main box and use the 50 amp spa disconnect from Home Depot in line.

It's just a pain to swap breakers every time I brew. Guess I'll just have to get to work on my brew space.

Yes, you can run a 30 amp breaker in the main panel and then run it through the 50a GFI spa panel to gain the GFI function. None of the wiring should be rated for less than 30a.

Back