Why do some people claim draft beer gives a headache?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there is some validity to these claims. A very good friend of mine can get half way through a Bud Light and WHAM he has a headache. He can drink a Bud or Coors without an issue (though he HATES BMC). We're not talking about excessive drinking by any means...this is ONE beer. And this can happen anywhere, not just in a smokey bar. He says it has something to do with the carbonation of Bud light. Another friend of mine has gout and he gets flare ups when he drinks any kind of beer that's bottle conditioned. I've seen this happen a few times.

In regards to the headaches...just because it happens (and I don't doubt that it does), doesn't mean it's not in his mind.

I don't know enough about gout...yeast would cause the flare-ups?

It's usually the yeast. I have a cousin who can only drink beers with certain yeast strains otherwise his sinuses just flare out like no ones business.

I have a weird problem where if I drink Budweiser or Coors my jaw gets ungodly stiff. I have no idea what that's from. Doesn't really bother me that much to stay away from Bud and Coors though.

Back