Can pouring too fast kill carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charesty

Reaction score
After 3 1/2 weeks carbonating, I had three pumpkin brews last night. The first two were outstanding and perfectly carbed. The third beer, I wanted to try and develop a big head, so I poured it really long, like the beer 3 ft above the glass splashing as hard as possible linto the glass. After the pour, no carb :(

Is it possible to kill carbonation this way or is there an issue with uneven carbonation occurring?

That can happen. The gas will come out of solution faster if poured with more vigor. You should have noticed a lot more foam though. Maybe an inconsistent mixture of priming sugar?

is there an issue with uneven carbonation occurring?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. But I did sample from the bottles I filled last. That may not mean anything though.

Normally I pour my priming sugar and water solution into bottling bucket and rack on top with the siphon hose pointed in a direction to create a mixing swirl. I didn't stir after racking though. Could be uneven mixing.

You should have noticed a lot more foam though.

I did notice foam so maybe I killed the carbonation with my vigor. We'll see tonight after more 'testing'

Cool I'm going to "test" the carbonation on my newly bottled oatmeal stout tonight too. :drunk:

After another bottle from the same pumpkin pale ale batch, it's definitely carbonated well after 3.5 weeks. So I suppose it's possible to kill carbonation with a very long, vigorous poor.

Warning: Pour slowly

you can acheive the same effect without the "long pour" start pouring down the side of the glass and as it gets to about 1/4 to 1/2 begin to tilt the stream so that it pours right down the middle of the glass. this way you can get a nice head but still pour slow as to not disturb the yeast at the bottom of the bottle

Back