Has anyone converted 5 gal corny's to 3 gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
I've been on the hunt for 3 gal kegs (due mostly to space constraints in the fridge I want to use) as part of my mission to start kegging. But, we all know the cost of 3 gal corny's are insane. There is a place near me that sells 5 gallon kegs cheap. I can get get 5-7 of these for the price of one 3 gal. Has anyone taken 5 gal kegs, cut them, and welded them in to 3 gal units? Just wondering how that all turned out. Do they hold pressure? Cost to weld? Whatever.

It was discussed a few weeks ago.... I don't think anyone has actually been successful and happy. Seems a waste to me...

I'd be worrying about the inner weld seam and any potential contamination spots...

I know welders who could do it but they charge $90/hr thus negating the cost of doing it. The factory kegs are welded and finished by robots on rotating fixtures, it's hard to replicate that by hand in such a small opening. If you're a bad ass welder with time on his hands, go for it.

Midwest has 3 gallon corneys for $75. If you can get 5 to 7 corny kegs for $75, please tell me where, so I can buy a couple hundred and resell them.

Been discussed fairly heavlily. The welds would be very difficult. Corny's are not very thick

OP, have you seen these?

4900.jpg

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4900

They hold about 1.33 gallons (5 liters). Not a corny, but you can put several in a small fridge.

Also, they cost $11.

Actually, I remember about a year go someone cut up a corny and did just this. Turned out to be WAY more of a hassle than it's worth.

I'll agree with the others, it's not worth it unless you're an insanely good welder. Of course, if you were an insanely good welder you wouldn't be asking the question, you would've done it already. ;)

I worked a fab facility that made high vacuum parts back in college. They had some insane welders there. One guy got his job because he brought a sample of his welding to the interview. It was two razor blades perfectly seamed together. He could probably do it.

Back