What equipment would we need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noreaster40s

Reaction score
My brother and I have been doing extract brewing for awhile now. We enjoy doing the 5 gallon batches but the problem is we can't keep up with demand from family and friends. :) Plus we've been talking about trying all grain brewing as a next step. So we've been thinking about trying to do both things at once and trying to brew all grain 10 gallon batches. This may be too big a leap from where we are but we definitely want to go to all grain. That being said, I wouldn't mind starting out trying 5 gallon batches but instead of getting everything set up for 5 gallons then wishing we could do 10 I think I'd rather go through getting things ready the one time and get the equipment to do 10 gallons. (make sense?)

Anyway, my question is what size coolers would we need to do eventual 10 gallon batches if things go well? From what I've read I'm thinking the 10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers wouldn't be big enough for the mash tun, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks.

a 10g igloo round will work fine for most beers under 1.055 or so. if your wanting to brew bigger beers then you'll need to do either 5g batches of those or use a bigger mashtun like a 54qt rectangle or cube. if your going to fly-sparge then try to keep the cooler as compact in floor area as possible(ie use the cube instead of the rectangle) this makes the grainbed drain a bit more completely imo. for a kettle you'll need at least 50% more room than your final batch size( 5g=7.5g kettle, 10g=15g kettle)

I use a 10 gallon igloo cooler with a ss braided line inside, and i haven't had any problems.

Back