Where o where has my krausen gone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusorfodder

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did my first ever extract batch on on Thursday, and things seem to have been going ok. It definitely was a learning experience but I think I didn't screw up too much. Anyhow, fermentation started within about 6-8 hours with nottingham ale yeast as well as a bit of energizer. Throughout the day yesterday the airlock was bubbling happily away so that was good. As of last night I had a nice krausen of about an inch or two formed, and everything was looking pretty normal. I wake up today to check on things and notice that the airlock activity has settled down a lot (though still going) and that the krausen is gone. I don't see anything else forming on top, which is good, but this being my first beer, I don't know if this is normal or not. Any help?

On another note, my apfelwein that I started Wednesday has passed the elephant fart phase (which was mild) so I'm happy with that. Go Go energizer!

Yep, that's normal. The krausen rises and then falls. Do you see a ring of "stuff" around the inside of the carboy where the krausen was?

Since i've been doing Hefe's recently, i don't get so much of a ring around the sides as a plastering of gunk on the top of my carboy :).

Word of advice if you ever get to do a hefe, use a blow off if you primary it in a carboy, otherwise you may just paint your ceiling hefe colored :)

definitely normal. some yeast strains drop the krausen, others will leave a sort of thick skin krausen residue over the top of the wort. wyeast kolsch strain does this.

Back