On my way!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprchunk

It is though
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the good times in Europe had to end eventually. Too bad they had to cancel my next assignment to Belgium to actually end mine. But what can you do? So I'll be moving back to my home state - Florida.

I will be in the panhandle for the immediate future (and possibly long term), specifically around the Navarre area (if I find a house). So if anyone is close and wants to brew, let me know. Will be there end of June.

I have way more **** than I need, since I pretty much acquired everything I already had back there, while being here. So you won't be imposing at all. Plus I'll be retiring in about 3 years so will have a ton of free time on my hands. Minus what my two boys and wife take up.

I looked around for a homebrew club in the area but came up short. So if there isn't one up there, I'll be starting one. And any interested party is very welcome to join in. We'll iron out everything eventually.

Can't wait to get back to the warm air and nice beaches. Well almost as nice as I'm used to. I am from Clearwater after all.

bis später, meine Brauen Brüder und Schwestern.

From what i've heard, they are. You could always visit ours in Jacksonville. We have well over 200+ members. Very active.

I'm near Navarre. It looks as if there was a club in the FWB/Niceville area a few years ago, but no activity lately. It was called Home Brewers Underground, or something. I emailed the contacts and have had no reply outside of a failure to send message.

This area is a beer wasteland of sorts. There are a few stores that carry pretty good beers, two brew-pub/micro brews and that's about it. I put a message out for local home brewers but didn't recurve many replies. I've also asked around town.

Also, if you don't have a good chiller and ore-chiller start looking now. And if you're looking to order supplies I order from rebel brewer. They're in Tennessee and orders arrive in two days to mist places. By far the fastest and mist reliable in the area. I've ordered from all over too, so I have a good baseline.

Good luck and message me when you get here.

Dang auto correct. You'll need a pre-chiller. And I received no replies from home brewers in the area.

When I find a spare afternoon I want to see if The two brew pubs will sell some extra grain. There's also a brewery in Pensacola that I'd like to go visit, but it's over 1.5 hours from here.

yes the one in Pcola is Pensacola Bay Brewery. it is a pretty nice place with friendly staff. Oh and the beer is pretty good as well. i dont have a pre chiller, i use my regular chiller then put my carboy into my ferm chamber until temps are right for pitching. during the summer months which is 95% of the year controlling ferm temps is hard without a ferm chamber of some sorts. I have used a swamp cooler before, but have found it way better to be able to put inside ferm chamber and just letting it be...

Dang auto correct. You'll need a pre-chiller. And I received no replies from home brewers in the area.

When I find a spare afternoon I want to see if The two brew pubs will sell some extra grain. There's also a brewery in Pensacola that I'd like to go visit, but it's over 1.5 hours from here.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. Been house hunting and getting acquainted with the area. Beach around this area is pretty damn good for selection. As is the Wine World (or whatever it is called) out in Destin. I was quite surprised. Even the Beach up by where I am in Crestview has a pretty impressive selection. But before Europe I was in West Texas. That is the real wasteland for beer. It was picking up as we left, but way too slowly.

Have you visited the breweries yet and inquired about grain? I'm waiting to get into a house we put a bid on and get all my stuff delivered before I buy anything brewing related. Or at least that is the intention.

yes the one in Pcola is Pensacola Bay Brewery. it is a pretty nice place with friendly staff. Oh and the beer is pretty good as well. i dont have a pre chiller, i use my regular chiller then put my carboy into my ferm chamber until temps are right for pitching. during the summer months which is 95% of the year controlling ferm temps is hard without a ferm chamber of some sorts. I have used a swamp cooler before, but have found it way better to be able to put inside ferm chamber and just letting it be...

I'm going to build a cellar in my garage controlled with AC and a CoolBot. At least that is my intention. That an a couple chest freezers should be good (one for serving and one for fermenting - just like I used to have). Hopefully this will keep me set on beer storage for some time.

Have yet to get out to PBB and try any of their beer yet. I have been to Props over in FWB. Wasn't bad. Good food, and I had one of the eight they had on tap that was decent. Went back a second time and they only had three of their beers left on tap. Thinking they might not last long with that kind of output. Or maybe they need some help?

Haven't made it to McGuire's either. Heard they were a little hit or miss depending on which location you go to.

I'm going to build a cellar in my garage controlled with AC and a CoolBot. At least that is my intention. That an a couple chest freezers should be good (one for serving and one for fermenting - just like I used to have). Hopefully this will keep me set on beer storage for some time.

Have yet to get out to PBB and try any of their beer yet. I have been to Props over in FWB. Wasn't bad. Good food, and I had one of the eight they had on tap that was decent. Went back a second time and they only had three of their beers left on tap. Thinking they might not last long with that kind of output. Or maybe they need some help?

Haven't made it to McGuire's either. Heard they were a little hit or miss depending on which location you go to.

i havent been to props in FWB. PBB has some really good brews. I like their IPA the best followed by their porter. They also do guest pours and have wine just in case your SWMBO isnt a beer drinker.

McQuires is great for the food, but in my opinion if you are going there for the beer then you will be disappointed. i have only had one of their beers i really liked. The food is great though!

Does PBB have a restriction on children? I didn't see that they had any sort of restaurant so wasn't sure if it was just a pub without food or not.

We try and go places that the kids can tag along with, as Europe (minus England) was really lax about it and felt it should be up to the parents to raise their kids.

Once we get settled and find a sitter we will be able to hit the grownup spots more. Or the kids get a few years older.

Thanks for the information.

Does PBB have a restriction on children? I didn't see that they had any sort of restaurant so wasn't sure if it was just a pub without food or not.

We try and go places that the kids can tag along with, as Europe (minus England) was really lax about it and felt it should be up to the parents to raise their kids.

Once we get settled and find a sitter we will be able to hit the grownup spots more. Or the kids get a few years older.

Thanks for the information.

They dont have a restriction on kids as far as i know. i have seen strollers in there...haha They make their own Cream soda and root beer that both of my kids like. Mine have gone with me before but they are older 15 and 11. They dont have food there as it is FL law that you cannot prepare and serve food where you make beer. McQuires makes their beer in a different location than where they serve food. thats how they can serve food and their own beer.

you will find a lot of places are lax about bringing your kids and some places even have play areas for them. No one seems to care until it gets later in the night. so i would say until 8 you are probably good.

They dont have a restriction on kids as far as i know. i have seen strollers in there...haha They make their own Cream soda and root beer that both of my kids like. Mine have gone with me before but they are older 15 and 11. They dont have food there as it is FL law that you cannot prepare and serve food where you make beer. McQuires makes their beer in a different location than where they serve food. thats how they can serve food and their own beer.

you will find a lot of places are lax about bringing your kids and some places even have play areas for them. No one seems to care until it gets later in the night. so i would say until 8 you are probably good.

Strange. Props brews their beer right there in the restaurant. Right next to the table we sat at.

Thanks for the tip about the kids. We'll definitely go check it out soon.

Strange. Props brews their beer right there in the restaurant. Right next to the table we sat at.

Thanks for the tip about the kids. We'll definitely go check it out soon.

I dont know then...that is what PBB told me when i asked about why they dont serve food...maybe cause they also distribute it from that location? IDK:drunk:

Might be. Not sure if a production brewery is allowed to operate as a brewpub. You can be only one I'm sure. I haven't read the license narrative in a while, so I could be wrong. Though I will be studying up on them again here pretty soon.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Buying a house and moving in, not to mention getting settled in the new job, I've been busy for a bit.

Yes I have gotten over to PBB. Very nice place and really good beers. McGuire's I haven't had a chance to go. And to be honest, I don't think I will unless someone has a event there. Looks a bit too gimicky for me. I'd rather hit up Hopjack's for the food there. Plus they have a really decent selection.

I'm brewing all the time now since my stuff arrived. Hit me up if you want to brew.

Hey I know how it can be sometimes...haha!
McQuires actually has pretty good food. You just have to order the stuff they are good at making. I dont go to often though as there are other places around which i like better and are cheaper...I'm not a fan of Hopacks food selection, but i am a fan of their beer selection. when i go downtown i eat pizza at Helen Back then go downstairs to Hopjacks to drink...:mug:

That would be cool to get together and brew sometime. I think i am going to the LHBS (Garys) to get stuff to make a brown ale tomm, but not 100% sure yet. I am looking to brew at least 2x over the holidays though since i have extra time off from work!

Hey I know how it can be sometimes...haha!
McQuires actually has pretty good food. You just have to order the stuff they are good at making. I dont go to often though as there are other places around which i like better and are cheaper...I'm not a fan of Hopacks food selection, but i am a fan of their beer selection. when i go downtown i eat pizza at Helen Back then go downstairs to Hopjacks to drink...:mug:

That would be cool to get together and brew sometime. I think i am going to the LHBS (Garys) to get stuff to make a brown ale tomm, but not 100% sure yet. I am looking to brew at least 2x over the holidays though since i have extra time off from work!

I was in Gary's last weekend, and brewed the next day. I will be brewing at least four times this week, and probably a couple times next week as well. I have to fill up two 15 gallon barrels so lots to do.

Tuesday I'll be brewing up a Zombie Dust clone and an Imperial Stout (the first is a psuedo starter as I'll be pitching another big batch on top to fill the barrels). I haven't tested the water makeup with a pale ale yet, but the ZD clone will be my guinea pig. Hopefully there won't be trouble with the water profile and pH. Would hate to have to treat the water much.

If you get some free time and you are in my redneck area give me shout. [email protected]

I was in Gary's last weekend, and brewed the next day. I will be brewing at least four times this week, and probably a couple times next week as well. I have to fill up two 15 gallon barrels so lots to do.

Tuesday I'll be brewing up a Zombie Dust clone and an Imperial Stout (the first is a psuedo starter as I'll be pitching another big batch on top to fill the barrels). I haven't tested the water makeup with a pale ale yet, but the ZD clone will be my guinea pig. Hopefully there won't be trouble with the water profile and pH. Would hate to have to treat the water much.

If you get some free time and you are in my redneck area give me shout. [email protected]

I dont know if your water profile is close to mine or way off, but i rarely put anything in my water and i dont notice any issues...of course that is one aspect of my brewing i am looking to improve and start tailoring the water profile to the style i am making.

www.garysbrew.com

its a LHBS. he is located on Gulf beach highway. Great people and good prices as well! :mug:

Second that. I am going to ask him about doing group buys for grain the next time I am in there. I need a bunch of bags of base and crystals.

I am beginning to think the water here is pretty good. Hard to believe with the amount of chlorine I smell in the water though. Haven't had any off flavors associated with it yet. Last time I had water this good was, surprisingly, in Gulfport, MS. Some of the best beers I made were with that water. And it's looking like I'm in for a treat here as well.

Will be brewing almost everyday next week if anyone wants to stop by.

Second that. I am going to ask him about doing group buys for grain the next time I am in there. I need a bunch of bags of base and crystals.

I am beginning to think the water here is pretty good. Hard to believe with the amount of chlorine I smell in the water though. Haven't had any off flavors associated with it yet. Last time I had water this good was, surprisingly, in Gulfport, MS. Some of the best beers I made were with that water. And it's looking like I'm in for a treat here as well.

Will be brewing almost everyday next week if anyone wants to stop by.

I need to buy a mill...that's one thing I don't have yet. so it prevents me from buying in bulk right now. I am trying to get my keezer finished first. almost there with it though. I will have 6 kegs so I can have a good varieity without bottling...I hate bottling!

from my understanding chlorine in water boils off. so that is why that does have any effect on your beer. I remember when I made extract and I used the tap water to top up...you could definitely taste it then! I learned from that! haha

I need to buy a mill...that's one thing I don't have yet. so it prevents me from buying in bulk right now. I am trying to get my keezer finished first. almost there with it though. I will have 6 kegs so I can have a good varieity without bottling...I hate bottling!

from my understanding chlorine in water boils off. so that is why that does have any effect on your beer. I remember when I made extract and I used the tap water to top up...you could definitely taste it then! I learned from that! haha

Yes chlorine boils off. I was meaning that they must not use any chloramines along with that. Those do not boil off.

I have an extra mill if you would like. It's an old Barley Crusher.

Yes chlorine boils off. I was meaning that they must not use any chloramines along with that. Those do not boil off.

I have an extra mill if you would like. It's an old Barley Crusher.

Oh ok now I understand what you mean about the chlorine smell...
I am interested in the mill for sure...how much would you want for it? why did you get a new one if you had this one? I have never had one so I don't know too much about them...

I use the campton (sp)tags after some off flavors in mine. Anyway, my water is not too great here.

Are you brewing tomorrow? I'm trying to get out if the house a bit. I'm trying to brew Tues and Wed depending.

I use the campton (sp)tags after some off flavors in mine. Anyway, my water is not too great here.

Are you brewing tomorrow? I'm trying to get out if the house a bit. I'm trying to brew Tues and Wed depending.

Where are you at? Are you in Pcola now? Curious since your thing says Charleston...

I might brew tomorrow. I have to go into work and don't know how long I will be. I was planning on Tuesday and Thursday.

PM me and let me know how much you want for that mill, if you are willing to part with it that is...

Back