IPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

localhost

Reaction score
New IPA recipe, but i'm having a really hard time sorting out my hop additions. How do you guys think this looks? I'm looking for a pretty hop-forward IPA, not too malty.

All Grain Recipe:

12 lbs 2-Row
1 lbs Crystal 40
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine

Mash 60 min @ 154 F

60 Minute Boil:

1 oz Warrior @ 60min

0.5 oz Citra @ 30 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 30 min

0.5 oz Citra @ 10 min
0.5 oz Warrior @ 10 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 10 min

0.5 oz Amarillo @ Flame Out

Dry hop 14 days with 2 oz each of: Citra, Amarillo, Warrior.

Ferment with WLP001

Beersmith puts it at about 100 IBU, which may be a little high for what i'm looking for, not quite sure. I'm also thinking the mash temp is a few degrees higher than i want, not 100% on that either.

It looks good to me I get 84 IBU and might drop the mash to 150-151 to dry it out a little 95% of my beers are IPA's and I normally wont put in more than 3/4 lb of crystal malt and mash down around 150 or so and I try and keep my IBU's no higher than 75 , but thats my taste I wouldnt dry hop with more than 1 oz of each hop and only about 7-10 days.

Does warrior impart much of a flavor for a dry hop? I thought it was a fairly neutral hop mostly used for bittering.

It looks good to me I get 84 IBU and might drop the mash to 150-151 to dry it out a little 95% of my beers are IPA's and I normally wont put in more than 3/4 lb of crystal malt and mash down around 150 or so and I try and keep my IBU's no higher than 75 , but thats my taste I wouldnt dry hop with more than 1 oz of each hop and only about 7-10 days.

^^ What he said. Less crystal, a little on the dry side, and 70 IBU's is perfect for my taste. I'd move those 30min additions a little later since you don't need the bittering from them, maybe to 20 or 15 minutes. That should drop your IBU's a bit and you'll get more hop flavor. Also like Bubba said, no more than 1oz each for dry hop. I'm not sure about Warrior for dry hopping, never tried it, if it were me I'd probably drop it and go with 1 to 1 1/2 oz each of Citra and Amarillo, that combination should be great.

I'd move the 30 minute hops to 15 minutes, and the 10 minute hops to 5 minutes. I'd dryhop for no longer than 7 days with only amarillo and citra, and no more than 1.5 oz of each.

I'd probably drop the carapils, as it's not needed in this recipe.

Ok, i've updated the recipe based on all of your suggestions, here's the updated version:

12 lbs 2-Row
.75 lbs Crystal 40

Mash 60 min @ 151 F

60 Minute Boil:

1 oz Warrior @ 60min

0.5 oz Citra @ 15 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 15 min

0.5 oz Citra @ 5 min
0.5 oz Warrior @ 5 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 5 min

0.5 oz Amarillo @ Flame Out

Dry hop 7 days with 1.5 oz each of: Citra, Amarillo