Worst salvage bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW...I know that a long time ago (like in the '60's and 70's when returnables were refillable) the labels that many of you call "paint" was actually glass dust fused by heat to the glass bottle. I have one case of old heavy duty Rolling Rock bottles and I am sad that with repeated use the "labels" are fading...not sure if it's paint or fused glass...but it is tough stuff!
My least favorite bottles are those cool Euro/craft bottles I get that need bigger caps...

Cooking oil dissolves most glues I encounter that soapy water won't. Rub some oil on with your hands then clean the oil off with soapy water. It's better than putting harsh chemical solvents (e.g. gasoline) on bottles you're going to drink from!

Rouge Porter labels used to drive me crazy before I figured out this little gem. Also I cant get off the painted on labels from Arrogant Bastard Ales.

Back