Guzzle or Nurse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guzzle or Nurse

• Guzzle it

• Slowly gag it down

• Toss it

• Save it for later

Results are only viewable after voting.

wolfstar

Reaction score
It's probably happened to all of us...

Pick up a brew, get it home and try it and it is unappealing, nasty, or you just plain hate it...

Do you

Guzzle it

Slowly gag it down

Toss it

save it for later

A lot of times I guzzle, but recently I tried a orange peel beer and a raspberry one as well that both got dumped. I couldn't even force them down!

I save it for people who might like it, if nobody does, it gets dumped. It's particularly painful for those of us who are have to buy by the case due to archaic laws. been burned a couple times with 23 more to get rid of.

I'm to cheap to waste it, to nice to give it to someone else, and if it tastes that bad, cooking with it will probably not fix it. I'd hold my nose and chug it, its the beer equivalent of jumping on the grenade...

My favorite recipe:

1. Put beer into pot with a package of rinsed button mushrooms for light beer and portabellas for dark. (I prefer baby-small-medium sized)

2. Add in 1/4 stick of butter, 1 clove glaric minced, a few shakes of garlic pepper

3. Bring to a mild boil (FYI it may try to boil over.)

4. Cook for about 20 minutes or until mushrooms are done.

5. Strain the mushrooms out and enjoy.

Pro tip: If the beer is particularly offensive add in some french onion soup mix to help mask it. ;)

NOTE: This will not work well for infected beer or something like a blueberry IPA. :cross:

I save it for people who might like it, if nobody does, it gets dumped. It's particularly painful for those of us who are have to buy by the case due to archaic laws. been burned a couple times with 23 more to get rid of.

how did i know your location was PA when i read that...

I drink it down 99% of the time. and if i have more then one, i invite friends over and make them have one before they have the good beer. no alcohol abuse, the pain is spread over everyone, and it's cost-effective. I actually just did it with a 4 pack of Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic that someone left at my house. Dear god was it awful.

Dump it, 9 times out of 10. I have no desire to consume beer I don't enjoy. I'm not that cheap or desperate for a buzz.

I tried a beer lately that was just WRONG. Sorry to say it had been left in a minikeg too long and was all stirred up and flat. I tried, honest I did, but life's too short to drink crap beer.

If it is truly horrible, it will end up as a drain-pour. If it's just a meager beer, I'll still drink it. Sometimes better qualities come out as the temperature of the beer changes, or my own palate warms up to the beer.

It's probably happened to all of us...

Pick up a brew, get it home and try it and it is unappealing, nasty, or you just plain hate it...

Do you

Guzzle it

Slowly gag it down

Toss it

save it for later

I have only had 1 beer that was so offensive I chose to pour it out rather than just drink it.

Mich Ultra Pomegranit.

Have you ever cooked with a blueberry wheat?

■2/3 Cup Hungry Jack Complete Wheat Blends Pancake Mix
■No Stick Spray Or Butter
■½ Cup Blueberries
■1 bottle of Blueberry Ale

Directions

Mix together the pancake mix with beer, based on the directions on the box. Add in blueberries. The amount of blueberries you add in can vary, depending on how juicy delicious you want it to be.

Cook pancakes like normal.

Serve with butter and blueberry syrup (if you don’t think that’s over doing it). A few strips of bacon on the side, doesn’t hurt.

Cooking, saved for parties, or used in a cocktail or other drink that can make use of the flavor. A lot of that kind of thing gets mixed with ginger ale, apple juice, or sprite for day drinks ont he weekend.

Have you ever cooked with a blueberry wheat?

Technically no. I have had some pretty bad beers that I have done some creative things with.

Blueberry wheat MUFFINS! Take the beer bring to a boil reduce it if you have a lot and then use the liquid as a substitue for some water in a blueberry muffin/bread mix.

My dad will drink any sort of beer, no matter how terrible or disgusting it is, as long as it is free. Unfortunately that's the reason I can't trust his opinion of my beer cause he likes all beer. Other than that I usually save it for when I'm playing beer pong or something. I usually have to chug it so quickly I can't taste it anyway.

Toss it...To much good beer out there to abuse my liver and kidneys on crap....Learned a lesson in 1985 in Red Lodge, Mt. Got a batch of bad beer and I puked the entire time I was in Yellowstone the next day. Nice trip.. Conclusion...it gets dumped.

personally, it depends on the beer. i've dumped some that were unpalatable, drink the ones that weren't so bad, happy it was done and over with, quickly guzzled some if i was thirsty. so i think an 'all of the above' option would benefit the poll question a lot.

If it tastes like it was fermented with old gym socks and cow manure it gets dumped, but aside from that I usually force myself to finish every beer I open.

Because who knows, I may actually grow to like that style/some of the characteristics in that beer. I hated Belgians about a year ago, now I absolutely love them. I'm at that point in time with beers with peppers right now. I don't enjoy it, but I still try to.

But then again if it's just a decidedly bad beer, it usually just gets drank with as little thought put towards the taste as possible.

Forgot about the folks that aren't allowed to buy singles :( I like to got to Total Wine and get a mix and match 6 pack or two to try out different brands styles...Every one in a while there is a dud.

Forgot about the folks that aren't allowed to buy singles :( I like to got to Total Wine and get a mix and match 6 pack or two to try out different brands styles...Every one in a while there is a dud.

I buy 6 pack samplers as well. I also gotta say.. regarding cooking with the nasty beer, I dabble in the kitchen quite a bit. I know when cooking with wine that the old adage is; "If you wont drink it, don't cook with it!" ... I feel the same way about beer. If I don't like drinking it, I probably wouldn't like eating it either! Down the drain it goes!

I dump it... and by that I mean I gift the rest to whomever drinks it. I have some friends with bad beer taste.

Latest posts

Back