barleywine/party gyle ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLM

Reaction score
I am going to make a barleywine with 26 lbs of grain and was wanting to try and make a parygyle with the third runnings. just wondering how I am going to do it is right.
I am going to use my first and second running to collect about 8-8.25 gal of wort and then sparge my last runnings with about 6-6.5 gal of water for the party gyle my question is on the last runnings am I going to sparge it with 170 water or what

Sure, you certainly could. I don't think the temperature will make to much of a difference in any case. You might want to take a look at Kaiser's partigyle worksheet, though. Just off the top of my head, I suspect that third batch sparge will produce relatively thin wort (even off of 26 lb of grain).

I wonder how thin it will be
my og of the barleywine with 5.5 gal wort is 1.110
what do you think the parti gyle would be? maybe 1.040 og or are we talking in the 1.020 range

Pretty good table in this source explaining how to split the wort volumes and the expected gravities.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/mosher.html

According to that table, if you make 5 gallons of barley wine at 1.110 the other beer should be at around 1.055.

Hope this helps.

To get two 5.5gal batches, one 1.110 and one 1.055, you'd need to extract 908 points of sugars. 26 pounds of 2-row has a theoretical extraction of 936 points, so the numbers you suggest would only work if he got 97% brewhouse efficiency.

Yeah, no way of extracting that much sugar from 26# of grain. Not sure how that article takes amount of grain into the split volumes.

I recently did a 50/50 split partigyle. My wee heavy had a OG of 1.090 and the second beer had a OG of 1.047. So you would be probably be around the 1.04-1.05 range.

MickeyD said:
Yeah, no way of extracting that much sugar from 26# of grain. Not sure how that article takes amount of grain into the split volumes.

I recently did a 50/50 split partigyle. My wee heavy had a OG of 1.090 and the second beer had a OG of 1.047. So you would be probably be around the 1.04-1.05 range.

How do you figure? Those numbers just don't sit right by me. Voodoo math!

How about this: 26 pounds of grain has 936 points of sugar. Assume a very optimistic 80% efficiency and you'll get an extraction of 749 points. 5.5gal of 1.110 barleywine is going to bogart 605 of those points. That leaves 144 points to divide up among another 5.5 gallons, for 1.026. For 70% efficiency, it's more like 1.009.

I was just wanting to try to use the leftover grain insted of just throwing it out so insted of haveing a 1.020 beer for the party gyle I think before by third sparge I am going to mash 5 more lbs of 2 row in the mash after the second sparge since its cheap that should add maybe .020 to the party gyle
what do you think

I was just wanting to try to use the leftover grain insted of just throwing it out so insted of haveing a 1.020 beer for the party gyle I think before by third sparge I am going to mash 5 more lbs of 2 row in the mash after the second sparge since its cheap that should add maybe .020 to the party gyle
what do you think

That would work, but the volumes you've posted below won't get you where you think they will. I mentioned it before, but Kaiser's partigyle worksheet is going to be important if you want to have any kind of predictability.

That would work, but the volumes you've posted below won't get you where you think they will. I mentioned it before, but Kaiser's partigyle worksheet is going to be important if you want to have any kind of predictability.

ok but I suck at understanding any of that plato and caculatins and this and that
I am just going to wing it and see what happens
I know with my system 65%-70% I will get with the first and second runnings
a 5.5 gal 1.110 or so maybe a little less after boil
so whatever I get with the added 5lbs of grain and the final sparge will be what it is
I will updat on saturday when I am done

well I made the batches today
my barleywine was a little low OG but thats fine 1.102
i did my first 2 runnings for that then added 3 lbs of 2 row and 2 lbs os vienna the the mash added 7 gal of 160 water let that mash at 151 for 45 min then ended up with a party gyle of 1.052 so a little high oh well it was fun makeing two beers at once

Back