carboy vs bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evlgenius74

Reaction score
newb question here. i was curious if there was any special reason to use a carboy over a fermenting bucket for making wine. more importantly racking. i have a bucket and a carboy but would prefer bounce between the bucket and the carboy for secondary racking to clear and age. any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated. this will be my first wine batch after working on ciders. thank you! :)

oh i thought i said that. i fully plan to primary in the bucket and secondary in the carboy. im just trying to avoid having to buy a second carboy for multiple rackings to clear and refine the wine. now i may have misread but i thought it was important to do several rackings to get the wine off the yeast that falls out.

thanks doc...just wanted to make sure there wasnt some strange reason you couldnt because the only reason i could come up with was oxidation but thats easy enough to get around with a can of co2

I use the bucket as my Primary Fermenter souly because the bucket has more room for the blow-off (or would be) has room to stay in there without making a mess. Then I use the carboy as my secondary to gauge the clearing of the wine and to insure the wine has a better seal that the bucket can't provide. I then after a while rack the wine from the .arboy to the bucket only long enough to clean the carboy out (sanitize and such as well...duh) then back into the carboy... as many times as you want..... just realize the more times you do this the more chances you have to get wild yeast/mold and such in your wine. I do it twice in the carboy and call it good... never been a problem!

Back