Does CO2 go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmako

Reaction score
I picked up some used corny kegs and and friend of mine gave me a CO2 tank along with gauges. Now I don't know how old the CO2 is, it can be between 1 - 15 years old.

So before I swap the tank (only to refill around here) could I simple use the CO2 I have?

guys, I'm sure that inert gas STAYS pretty inert, but what about rust or corrosion inside the tank?
15 yrs?

I'd say it's probably fine, but I do know the tanks are supposed to be inspected every so many years. I think it was every 5 years.

OP, you're fine. Use what's left inside the tank, and do a fill/exchange when you're out of gas. The tank will be out of it's hydro cert, so they won't be able to refill it w/out doing the testing process for a nominal fee. Unless it's really corroded, it should pass without issue.

I'd say it's probably fine, but I do know the tanks are supposed to be inspected every so many years. I think it was every 5 years.

Yep, CO2 tanks need to be hydro tested every 5 years. On the tank there should be a two number date MM/YY. The tank needs to be tested 5 years from that date.

being fine or not. I think your problem will come when the tank is empty. Refilling or exchanging it might be a problem.

I think it was 10 years and they won't refill or Exchange it. I think you can get it inspected. My first tank was older. Pefrect shape though. The guy exchanged it no problem. So you may be n luck.

Try a welding supply place if your LHBS shoots you down.

Thanks the tank states 03 95 and its aluminum and in fine looking shape. Now it may have been certified before but I have no way to tell.

So far I've been practicing fill my cornys.

If that is the most current date on the tank then you are going to need to get the tank re-tested before it gets filled again. Who ever you were planning on taking it to should know of a place to get the tank tested.

yeah the guy was going to retest mine but he said it was in good shape and wasn't that far past the expired date. so he didn't charge to retest. he just swapped me a new one.

If that is the most current date on the tank then you are going to need to get the tank re-tested before it gets filled again. Who ever you were planning on taking it to should know of a place to get the tank tested.

I called a few places and they all swap. One place will fill but even without certification it would take 1-2 weeks.

I called a few places and they all swap. One place will fill but even without certification it would take 1-2 weeks.

Wow. That's just greasy. Certifying the tank is not to protect the company that fills it. It's to protect you from a catastrophic failure of the bottle. Tanks go bad. Not CO2.

Tanks expand and contract under the pressure of the gas, over time this can weaken the walls. They do fail occasionally.

Back