First Batch Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyd3r

Reaction score
Well, my first batch is a victim of my own inexperience. I fermented too high, didn't properly sanitize my bottles, and miss timed the boil/cool down sequence.

The result is a beer with high esters, and a cider bite...with a plastic aftertaste after a burp. lol

I'm going to drink them all, mainly because I don't want to fully admit failure, and because I can't stand pouring $35 down the kitchen sink.

Anyway, I'm going to brew my second batch this weekend...probably that Pumpkin Ale recipe that I've seen floating around...hopefully I can correct the mistakes that I made, and reap the rewards!

My first was a pretty bad Heffe, although bummed, I consider it part of my education. And yes, I drank them. I still have a few left, but I wait until I, ahem, can't taste them so well if you know what I mean..

The up side is: if you've shared this batch with your friends/neighbors, they won't WANT to try your next batches when you get good - you'll have them all to yourself!

Back