Here's another tannins question for ya!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnj

Reaction score
eh, two is never enough...:D

so I brewed this beer nearly two months ago

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/first-ag-tonight-your-thoughts-my-recipe-118480/

It was my first AG, done on the stove top/in my oven. I did everything wrong, except I did have a ton of fun. That made it more then worth it.

The beer has been bottled now for 4 weeks. It looks awsome! nice and clear, but brownish red too.

However....

It tastes good but then there is this really weird mouth/tongue tickle thing. I'm guessing it's tannins becuase I SQUOOZE (squeezed) the snot out of my grains. (I said I did everything wrong..;))

I will be leaving this in the back of the closet but I'm curious what my chances of this off flavor going away are? I have no experience with this sort of thing.

thanks.

eh, two is never enough...:D

so I brewed this beer nearly two months ago

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/first-ag-tonight-your-thoughts-my-recipe-118480/

It was my first AG, done on the stove top/in my oven. I did everything wrong, except I did have a ton of fun. That made it more then worth it.

The beer has been bottled now for 4 weeks. It looks awsome! nice and clear, but brownish red too.

However....

It tastes good but then there is this really weird mouth/tongue tickle thing. I'm guessing it's tannins becuase I SQUOOZE (squeezed) the snot out of my grains. (I said I did everything wrong..;))

I will be leaving this in the back of the closet but I'm curious what my chances of this off flavor going away are? I have no experience with this sort of thing.

thanks.

There is a weird mouth feel? Does it taste a bit dry, almost astringent? Tannins are often described as puckering, like sucking on a used tea bag. What kind of flavor do you get out of the tickle?

Hmmm. I don't know, it's hard to explain. Maybe mouth feel isn't right. Maybe it's more, alcoholic tasting...? you know, like all booze, no hops/grain flavor?

Honestly, I'm drinking one now and can't put my finger(tongue?) on the wierd flavor. Also, I stated the wierdness was at the end of the drink taste. But today it's way more up front. (I had tasted one two days ago.)

I'm thinking maybe my gravity readings were off (probably because I suck at reading the Hydro and the wort was warmer then it should have been?) and that what I'm tasting is just really green beer.

Yoop, you mentioned in my original post that the hops may not be enough for my grain bill. I'm thinking (partially out of my ass) that this is partial cause of this flavor. No hops to cover the green flavor and higher alcohol then I originally thought....

I dunno. I'm not worried and I'm drinking a homebrew, so I guess I got that part covered. :p

Back