Unexpected visit while brewing an APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
I just started the boil when this little friend stopped by for a drink...

09-0329-1.jpg

09-0329-2.jpg

09-0329-3.jpg

I saw the thread title and I thought a deer, maybe a raccoon.

I was not expecting a turtle.

If that's a gopher tortoise, and I believe it is, we used to eat those when I was growing up in the New Smyrna Beach area 45 years ago. I think they're endangered now, though of course we didn't eat that many!

Looks like he is coming out of your garage. Did he hide in there overnight and decided to make a break for it when he saw the big pot come out?

I believe it is a gopher tortoise. I think they are protected but you really see them everywhere. He didn't hide in the garage but was pretty interested for a few minutes even though he did not like me coming close. The stayed in my and the neighbor's drive way for a while and then made it off, back into the empty wooden lot next to us where he came from.

well if you're ever looking for a name for a brewery I think that could be your inspiration

Man, we've had brew bees, brew cocks, brew dogs, and now brew turtles?

Maybe I'll get lucky and get a brew rabbit. I have a few recipes I'd like to try out.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to discover that bees like the smell of wort. Siphoned a batch out a while back only to find a couple of well cooked bees in the bottom of my brew pot.

What town do you live in? We are going to be in Cocoa for a week starting next Tuesday? Do you know of any good beer bars? I haven't been able to find much for good beer there. Most bars there think mich. amberbock is a good beer.

Are you in Cocoa or Cocoa Beach? If you are in Cocoa, make sure you take your bulletproof vest and a AK-47 :D
I live about 10 miles south CB off of A1A. Go to Indian Harbor Beach to Coasters Brew Pub, they have more than 130 beers. Charlie & Jake's on Wickham in Melbourne is the county's only microbrewery. The local distributer is pushing craft beers a bit, so at a lot of places you get different Sam Adams, Longhammer IPA and a bunch of others. Mostly the same brews at most places

Are you in Cocoa or Cocoa Beach? If you are in Cocoa, make sure you take your bulletproof vest and a AK-47 :D
I live about 10 miles south CB off of A1A. Go to Indian Harbor Beach to Coasters Brew Pub, they have more than 130 beers. Charlie & Jake's on Wickham in Melbourne is the county's only microbrewery. The local distributer is pushing craft beers a bit, so at a lot of places you get different Sam Adams, Longhammer IPA and a bunch of others. Mostly the same brews at most places

Ive found the best towns and bars in FL are off A1A away from the tourists traps! If you are ever up around St. Augestine you should try the restraunt right on Matanza's Inlet. Its hard to miss right before the Matanza's bridge on A1A if you are going south to north!

they have some of the best datil pepper hot sauce EVER! :tank: very very nice people to drink with to :)

Unfortunately, at the Space Coast along A1A there are not too many great bars along A1A. There are certainly some I ran recommend also food wise, but no good beer bar.
If you want to see some boobies in Cocoa Beach, go to the Coconutz ... it's right at the beach ;) ... or pm me

We go to Coconut's alot. We also go to the Sandbar and the best beer bar I have seen so far was Coaster's. A relative lives near the place. Is Cocoa really that dangerous? I have a bunch of relatives that live there and we were thinking of moving there in a few years. The worst thing I know of that happened there was a burglary to my cousins house last year.

If you are street smart its a very nice place to live. It has an urban feeling and very little grass. Mostly pavement and run down brick buildings. There is a tad of a problem with drugs and homicide is going up but VERY gradually. Its really only in the hot summer months when crime is at its peak and who really wants to go outside then anyways. As long as you mind your own business and don't stare directly at people you will be fine. I never had any problems except like you said the rare break in burglary that happens to all of us at some point, but what? like every 2 years or something! Not every day some most places around here. If your a tough person and like big city living I definitely recommend it. And NO you don't need an AK47 like he said. A simple handgun for home protection is fine.

Well, let's just say I live about 10 miles from Cocoa and have plenty of clients there, especially near the hot spots of W Cocoa and Fisk ... it IS dangerous in those areas. For the size of the area there are too many shootings. CB is fine... just Cocoa sucks bad

Back