How much sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidebung

Reaction score
I made a beer that I really liked but it was a tad bitter for me. I did not use any brewing sugar but I think next time I will. Can anyone advise me on how much sugar to add to a 5 gallon batch? Will a tablespoon or 2 be enough?

I made a beer that I really liked but it was a tad bitter for me. I did not use any brewing sugar but I think next time I will. Can anyone advise me on how much sugar to add to a 5 gallon batch? Will a tablespoon or 2 be enough?

Plain sugar (corn or cane) will not help, it'll be converted to alcohol. Use less hops or more malt, or lactose, sucralose, or another unfermentable sweetener.

A tablespoon or two is nothing. Maybe 1/2 pound or a full pound. But as Sumner says, sugar isn't really what you'd use to make beer less bitter. Sugar makes beer dry is it all ferments out.

Thanks...I did notice towards the end of drinking the batch the last few bottles were not as bitter. Should I leave it in the glass carboy longer? and if so roughly how much longer

I often find that my pre-hopped kits taste better when I don't boil the canned extract. Also, adding more hops to a pre-hopped kit will tip the balance of flavour towards the hoppier end of the scale, which can often mean more bitterness.

well I used 1 can of hopped extract and 2 lbs of DME so I boiled it for 1/2 hour. Alot of people are telling me to boil for only 5 or 10 min because of the DME. Do you agree?

Boiling hopped extract actually increases the bitterness. Most are designed to be used as no-boil kits. If you use them with other ingredients that must be boiled, add the hopped extract after flameout.

Boil the DME on its own for 15 minutes. The pre-hopped extract in the can only needs to be softened up, its contents have already gone through all the necessary steps. Like jpsexton said, add the can after your DME has come down below boiling temp.

Back