Converting recipes via BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I'm in the process of converting some of my fave recipes from extract/pm to all grain.
I ran my Kolsch recipe through Beersmith conversion, but really don't like how it came out. Tho original recipe called for :
4 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L

The conversion gave me :
6 lbs 0.2 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1 lbs 9.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1 lbs 0.6 oz Vienna Malt
10.1 oz Wheat Malt, Ger
8.3 oz Wheat, Flaked
8.2 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine

My main question is, how did it take me from 4 oz. of Crystal 20L to 1 lb. 9 oz. ?
Also, looking up the specs on Wheat Malt, it calls for a protein rest. Being new to AG, I'm planning on doing a single temp infusion. Is that still do-able ?

I'm not really sure how Beersmith converts recipes. I would assume you should keep the "steeping" grains the same and adjust for the conversion from extract to your fermentables. In this recipe, thats the wheat extract, DME and the others to an extent. Don't take my word for that since I've never converted a recipe to all grain.

I can tell you that you are safe skipping the protein rest. I do all my beer (even wheat) with a single infusion. Just tell BS you want a single infusion in the dropdown menu.

That conversion looks a little off.

I would keep the Vienna, Cara-Pils, Wheat, and Caramel exactly the same.

Replace the wheat extract with 12 oz of wheat malt, then use Pilsener malt to make up the remainder. Adjust the quantity of Pilsener in Beer Smith until you have the same OG as your extract version, and you're done.

That conversion looks a little off.

I would keep the Vienna, Cara-Pils, Wheat, and Caramel exactly the same.

Replace the wheat extract with 12 oz of wheat malt, then use Pilsener malt to make up the remainder. Adjust the quantity of Pilsener in Beer Smith until you have the same OG as your extract version, and you're done.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. According to what I could find, doing the conversions I should be using about 14 oz. of Wheat Malt, and making up the rest with Pilsner, although I AM leaning very heavily towards trying a Kolsch Malt that Northern Brewer is carrying.

Back