Aging cider in oak barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCoJo

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on this, I love oaked ciders and found this on Adventures in Homebrewing and wanted to try it out as an experiment. Good idea, bad idea?
http://www.homebrewing.org/5-Liter-Oak-Barrel_p_5167.html

I know that sometimes you can get large barrels cheaper but I live in an apartment and that would take up a lot of space.
Thanks!

My wife got me one for Christmas. I returned it. To small for me. I need a 5 or 10 gal. barrel. Too expensive.

I'd say its too small and will also give over exposure to the wood with a small volume of cider. A better choice would be placing a piece of oak or oak cubes in a carboy with the cider.

A HBT sponsor sells 5-10 gallon barrels.
Farmhouse brewshop out of Wisconsin i think.

Why not add toasted oak shavings or pieces to your glass or stainless steel fermenter instead? $80 for 5 liters with limited re-use seems a bit much. It's a hobby, and isn't expected to make economic sense, but there are much less expensive ways to add oak.

Back